Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Do I aerate my bottle dreg starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
Joeneugs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Do I aerate my bottle dreg starter?

Hey guys, sorry if this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen this specific question answered yet...

I have a starter that I've been building up by using bottle dregs from various sours and adding fresh starter wort. It's about 1/2 gallon now and I plan on building it one more time to a full gallon and adding a few more bottle dregs. My plan is to do a complete fermentation with just the cultivated dregs. (no primary sacc yeast)

My question is, should I be aerating this starter? I tried to keep oxygen out as much as possible, even purging the growler with some CO2 before adding the starter wort and its still very active. I know that oxygen is not good for certain organisms like pedio, but good for others. And what about when I pitch this starter to the beer? Should I aerate like usual, or not at all? I really don't want a lot of acetic acid in this beer. I would like a more gentle, lambic like sourness. I plan on aging this for at least a year or two.

Any suggestions from experienced wild brewers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would not aerate but would pitch fresh sacc yeast and the dregs at the same time.

Brute Brew Works
Primary: Epic Flemish Brown(15g) waiting to go into a bourbon barrel, Brett C. Blackberry Berliner, lambic waiting for fruit
Secondary: Sour Brown Ale from Black IPA second runnings sitting on 2.5lbs. blackberries and 2.5lbs mulberries
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

The aeration question really depends on the dregs and what is in them. You are correct about the lactic acid and Brett don't need oxygen, but you need to make sure that they will be the dominant organisms. It sounds like they would if you are seeing activity.

What does it currently taste and smell like?

Why don't you want to add Sacc?

Quick Reply