Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > DMS issue in berliner weisse... boil before bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Might it be autolysis? Two months in primary is a long time for a non-Brett beer.

I tend to rack my Berliners after primary fermentation dies down, Lambics are the only style I leave in primary.
Unless lacto can contribute to autolysis, I highly highly doubt that's my issue. I've left beers on the yeast for longer than this batch and haven't had any issues at all.

I figure when I add the brett i should rack since brett feasts on old yeast and the lees provides it with WAY too much yeast... I'm fairly inexperienced with sours though... am I correct with this line of thought?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
Unless lacto can contribute to autolysis, I highly highly doubt that's my issue. I've left beers on the yeast for longer than this batch and haven't had any issues at all.

I figure when I add the brett i should rack since brett feasts on old yeast and the lees provides it with WAY too much yeast... I'm fairly inexperienced with sours though... am I correct with this line of thought?
Lactic acid could certainly stress the yeast and cause autolysis issues earlier than in a clean beer. Having such a mild flavored beer could also let those off-flavors shine through more than a beer with more malt/hop character.

Leaving a beer with Brett on the yeast cake will lead to a more rustic/funky character that I like in my Lambics, but not in most other sours.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Alright so the plan is rack to a new carboy and add the Orval dregs. It'll likely be a while until I have any other info of note, but I'll post it here once I learn anything.

Thx for your thoughts, Oldsock

Quick Reply