Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Disappointed with Roselare

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
bellmtbbq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK

If that's the case, you should try out WY3728 - Lambic Blend. That'll get ya some funk... in 18 months.
I'm sorry but 3278 is terrible even with time.. Id suggest getting your hands on East Coast Yeast it you want something really funky

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
I'm sorry but 3278 is terrible even with time.. Id suggest getting your hands on East Coast Yeast it you want something really funky
Well you must not be doing it right, then!

I pitch WY3278 with a couple bottle dregs and have won nearly every sour category (and a few comps) I've entered with my lambics. Quite a simple way of doing things, actually. Much easier than finding ECY in my area.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK

Well you must not be doing it right, then!

I pitch WY3278 with a couple bottle dregs and have won nearly every sour category (and a few comps) I've entered with my lambics. Quite a simple way of doing things, actually. Much easier than finding ECY in my area.
I'm totally with you about the dregs.. Im just warning you, put 3278 in a beer alone in any kind of fermenter for any amount of time, and at best it's going to be alright. I've tried many different lambics just with 3278 alone from other brewers and they were all mediocre with the same mild house flavor that was weak. I'm sure your lambic was great Im just telling you my experience with it

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
I'm totally with you about the dregs.. Im just warning you, put 3278 in a beer alone in any kind of fermenter for any amount of time, and at best it's going to be alright. I've tried many different lambics just with 3278 alone from other brewers and they were all mediocre with the same mild house flavor that was weak. I'm sure your lambic was great Im just telling you my experience with it
Oh, I know. I was just messing with ya!
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #15
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm on my second gen of roeselare and its definitely developing a lot faster this time. The first pitch took more than a month to pellicule over, the repitch only took a week. It has a bigger lacto and cherry pie thing happening after 3 months than the first had after a year. Both beers had a primary fermentation and roeselare added to the secondary. Maybe its just a pitching rate thing, maybe the balance of the blend is completely different this time around.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx View Post
I'm on my second gen of roeselare and its definitely developing a lot faster this time. The first pitch took more than a month to pellicule over, the repitch only took a week. It has a bigger lacto and cherry pie thing happening after 3 months than the first had after a year. Both beers had a primary fermentation and roeselare added to the secondary. Maybe its just a pitching rate thing, maybe the balance of the blend is completely different this time around.
Good. I've got my second gen going right now. I am just wondering...why don't they make a blend that will actually make a good sour the first time?

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
tugbucket
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 23

My Flanders was racked on to Roselare. Took a good 7-8 months to really see any action. It's about 14 months now and has a nice twang to it but nothing crazy.

My sour black was Roselare in the primary. It's almost a year now and it's pretty insanely sour. This also has JP dregs so that might have kicked it up too.

I have a Temptation clone that is secondary with Roselare and I've added RR Supplication dregs. At about 10 months it tasted like nothing. Haven't tasted it in a couple months so not sure where it stands.

So from my limited experience, Roselare as the primary kicks in fast and hard. In the secondary takes a lot of time. RR dregs seem to be slow going but even on their bottles of Temptation they say "barrel aged 9-12 months" so I'll assume that's primary -> barrel (bugs added) -> 9-12 later and it tastes like something. JP dregs start eating right away.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #18
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
Good. I've got my second gen going right now. I am just wondering...why don't they make a blend that will actually make a good sour the first time?
I was at a club meeting yesterday and a few of us had roeselare soured beers and were discussing why its better the second time around - its intended to be used for primary fermentation so the blend of yeasts is balanced heavily towards the belgian sacch strain with the lacto, pedio, bret at low levels. When you repitch after a year, the primary belgian strain is long dead and the blend is balanced towards the secondary strains resulting in faster souring. It also doesn't seem to get the gross stringies the second time either (pedio?) and the pellicle is different.

Quick Reply