Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Did I just screw up my Brett? (well kind of anyway)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Did I just screw up my Brett? (well kind of anyway)

I brewed a brett almost exactly 1 year ago and let it sit in the primary fermenter for that period pretty much untouched. I decided it was time to bottle which I did this weekend. I siphoned off the beer into my bottling bucket leaving the sediment and the growth on top undisturbed. I added priming sugar and bottled.

My question is since it was so settled out from sitting for a year will there be enough yeast in the beer to carbonate? I figure most of the yeast was settled at the bottom and not in the beer. I know I could dump each bottle (52) back into the bottling bucket and add yeast but that would be a MAJOR pain. I plan on letting them sit for another year so do you think the trace ammounts of yeast will grow over that period and carbonate the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I doubt like hell it will ever carbonate if it does you're looking at a long time though.

Best bet, get some slurry from a batch you have just fermented add a little boiled/cooled water then put it into a syringe ( like they use for injecting flavor into turkeys etc)

A few drops of that slurry should be fine.

Some might suggest a few granules of dried yeast but I cant even begin to imagine how ponderous that would be.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu87 View Post
I doubt like hell it will ever carbonate if it does you're looking at a long time though.

Best bet, get some slurry from a batch you have just fermented add a little boiled/cooled water then put it into a syringe ( like they use for injecting flavor into turkeys etc)

A few drops of that slurry should be fine.

Some might suggest a few granules of dried yeast but I cant even begin to imagine how ponderous that would be.
Thanks! That is a better alternative to emptying each bottle, just uncap and cap again (remembering yeast this time). I may wait a week or two and just see if anything happens to them.

Unfortunately I already dumped what was left since I am not sure I want to go through such a long ordeal again for a beer I may not like anyway. I won't try another Brett again until this one is done and I decide if I like it. $10 is an easier way to go that saving for such a long time.

....and I have a Brett L ready to bottle next month made with blueberries. I won't screw that one up!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

was this an all brett beer? if it was you dont really need to wait that long, brett as a primary strain acts very similar to sacch and will finish out within a couple weeks usually

my all brett beers are typically kegged within a month, chilled and drank

wild beers that include pedio/etc require longer periods because the bugs will slowly eat dextrins and other things in the beer that sacch/brett wont on their own

Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
was this an all brett beer? if it was you dont really need to wait that long, brett as a primary strain acts very similar to sacch and will finish out within a couple weeks usually

my all brett beers are typically kegged within a month, chilled and drank

wild beers that include pedio/etc require longer periods because the bugs will slowly eat dextrins and other things in the beer that sacch/brett wont on their own
It was this: Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Activator Wyeast 5112 and only that.

I have to admit, I am new to these types of brews and should have done more research before trying them.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
jgln
Recipes 

I want to bump this to get confirmation I let this sit too long. I guess I don't understand. If I had used something ELSE with the Brett B. THEN I would have had to age longer than a month?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I think you should wait it out, year old Lambic is blended into a gueuze to provide carbonation, there is a good chance the Brett is still active. If not you can always wait and reyeast if there is no carbonation in 3-4 weeks, it doesn't sound like you are in much of a hurry.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I think you should wait it out, year old Lambic is blended into a gueuze to provide carbonation, there is a good chance the Brett is still active. If not you can always wait and reyeast if there is no carbonation in 3-4 weeks, it doesn't sound like you are in much of a hurry.
Thanks, that is what I am going to do. If after a few weeks there is a hink of carbonation I am going to let them sit for at least another few months and try again.

I am still confused by what Ryane said though.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I believe what Ryane is referring to is if you brew a beer with Brett as your primary yeast with the absence of a sacc. strain. Then Brett will act very much like a sacc. yeast and ferment your beer within a couple weeks. Therefore no need to really age for a year.
But if you use Brett in conjunction with a sacc yeast then the sacc yeast will dominate and then Brett will take a long time to grow and eat due to the low amount of remaining sugars.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
I believe what Ryane is referring to is if you brew a beer with Brett as your primary yeast with the absence of a sacc. strain. Then Brett will act very much like a sacc. yeast and ferment your beer within a couple weeks. Therefore no need to really age for a year.
But if you use Brett in conjunction with a sacc yeast then the sacc yeast will dominate and then Brett will take a long time to grow and eat due to the low amount of remaining sugars.
Ok understood, thanks!

Quick Reply