Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Did I just screw up my Brett? (well kind of anyway)
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern, NJ
Posts: 3,498
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Did I just screw up my Brett? (well kind of anyway)

I brewed a brett almost exactly 1 year ago and let it sit in the primary fermenter for that period pretty much untouched. I decided it was time to bottle which I did this weekend. I siphoned off the beer into my bottling bucket leaving the sediment and the growth on top undisturbed. I added priming sugar and bottled.

My question is since it was so settled out from sitting for a year will there be enough yeast in the beer to carbonate? I figure most of the yeast was settled at the bottom and not in the beer. I know I could dump each bottle (52) back into the bottling bucket and add yeast but that would be a MAJOR pain. I plan on letting them sit for another year so do you think the trace ammounts of yeast will grow over that period and carbonate the beer?

__________________
jgln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
babalu87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Middleborough, MA
Posts: 1,914
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

I doubt like hell it will ever carbonate if it does you're looking at a long time though.

Best bet, get some slurry from a batch you have just fermented add a little boiled/cooled water then put it into a syringe ( like they use for injecting flavor into turkeys etc)

A few drops of that slurry should be fine.

Some might suggest a few granules of dried yeast but I cant even begin to imagine how ponderous that would be.

__________________
babalu87 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern, NJ
Posts: 3,498
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu87 View Post
I doubt like hell it will ever carbonate if it does you're looking at a long time though.

Best bet, get some slurry from a batch you have just fermented add a little boiled/cooled water then put it into a syringe ( like they use for injecting flavor into turkeys etc)

A few drops of that slurry should be fine.

Some might suggest a few granules of dried yeast but I cant even begin to imagine how ponderous that would be.
Thanks! That is a better alternative to emptying each bottle, just uncap and cap again (remembering yeast this time). I may wait a week or two and just see if anything happens to them.

Unfortunately I already dumped what was left since I am not sure I want to go through such a long ordeal again for a beer I may not like anyway. I won't try another Brett again until this one is done and I decide if I like it. $10 is an easier way to go that saving for such a long time.

....and I have a Brett L ready to bottle next month made with blueberries. I won't screw that one up!
__________________
jgln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
ryane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 806
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

was this an all brett beer? if it was you dont really need to wait that long, brett as a primary strain acts very similar to sacch and will finish out within a couple weeks usually

my all brett beers are typically kegged within a month, chilled and drank

wild beers that include pedio/etc require longer periods because the bugs will slowly eat dextrins and other things in the beer that sacch/brett wont on their own

ryane is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern, NJ
Posts: 3,498
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
was this an all brett beer? if it was you dont really need to wait that long, brett as a primary strain acts very similar to sacch and will finish out within a couple weeks usually

my all brett beers are typically kegged within a month, chilled and drank

wild beers that include pedio/etc require longer periods because the bugs will slowly eat dextrins and other things in the beer that sacch/brett wont on their own
It was this: Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Activator Wyeast 5112 and only that.

I have to admit, I am new to these types of brews and should have done more research before trying them.
__________________
jgln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern, NJ
Posts: 3,498
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I want to bump this to get confirmation I let this sit too long. I guess I don't understand. If I had used something ELSE with the Brett B. THEN I would have had to age longer than a month?

__________________
jgln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Oldsock's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: DC, Washington DC
Posts: 3,120
Liked 193 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default

I think you should wait it out, year old Lambic is blended into a gueuze to provide carbonation, there is a good chance the Brett is still active. If not you can always wait and reyeast if there is no carbonation in 3-4 weeks, it doesn't sound like you are in much of a hurry.

__________________

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Oldsock is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern, NJ
Posts: 3,498
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I think you should wait it out, year old Lambic is blended into a gueuze to provide carbonation, there is a good chance the Brett is still active. If not you can always wait and reyeast if there is no carbonation in 3-4 weeks, it doesn't sound like you are in much of a hurry.
Thanks, that is what I am going to do. If after a few weeks there is a hink of carbonation I am going to let them sit for at least another few months and try again.

I am still confused by what Ryane said though.
__________________
jgln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
Almighty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 418
Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Default

I believe what Ryane is referring to is if you brew a beer with Brett as your primary yeast with the absence of a sacc. strain. Then Brett will act very much like a sacc. yeast and ferment your beer within a couple weeks. Therefore no need to really age for a year.
But if you use Brett in conjunction with a sacc yeast then the sacc yeast will dominate and then Brett will take a long time to grow and eat due to the low amount of remaining sugars.

__________________
Almighty is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern, NJ
Posts: 3,498
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
I believe what Ryane is referring to is if you brew a beer with Brett as your primary yeast with the absence of a sacc. strain. Then Brett will act very much like a sacc. yeast and ferment your beer within a couple weeks. Therefore no need to really age for a year.
But if you use Brett in conjunction with a sacc yeast then the sacc yeast will dominate and then Brett will take a long time to grow and eat due to the low amount of remaining sugars.
Ok understood, thanks!
__________________
jgln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to handle Brett? karrens Lambic & Wild Brewing 1 03-09-2010 05:00 AM
Bottling with Brett NYCBrewGuy Lambic & Wild Brewing 3 02-19-2010 03:58 AM
Brett or something else? twohands Lambic & Wild Brewing 15 02-15-2010 01:52 AM
100% Brett Beer II landhoney Lambic & Wild Brewing 27 01-30-2010 06:25 AM
All brett beers? bakins Lambic & Wild Brewing 1 06-01-2009 02:44 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS