Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Decocting a flanders red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Does anyone see any issues with using a triple decoction mash and a mash out step for a Flanders red ? I have read that rodenbach uses a decoction but I can't substantiate that claim. I would like to do a infusion but based on my grain bill I'd end up with like 3qt per pound ratio and max out my 10 gallon cooler not to mention there would be zero room for error. My only other option would be to direct fire the mash but then I would need to transfer it to the MLT from my boil kettle to sparge and I'm a bit nervous about hot handling of the mash and hot side aeration. So I'm thinking a decoction may be the best way to go unless anyone says differently or could make a suggestion.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Depending on your schedule you can usually start those infusions very thick to reach 1.25-1.5 qt/lb. However, yes, a decoction mash would be fine and would accomplish the same goals.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster
Depending on your schedule you can usually start those infusions very thick to reach 1.25-1.5 qt/lb. However, yes, a decoction mash would be fine and would accomplish the same goals.
You know I am really toying with the idea of an infusion it just I know my loses tithe tun and grain is high so I need to add a lot of hot water to hit the next step and there are 4 steps from 113 to 169f and I just think it would thin my mash way to much. Maybe I'm wrong. Do you think a direct mash temp raise may be better than a decoction ? Should I worry about transferring from my kettle to the MLT ? I'm really torn as to what to do here.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I'm a big fan of decoction mashes so I'd never say don't do it but it can be a chore. Ultimately a decoction mash is going to require you to transfer some of the mash from the MLT to the kettle and back again so there's no significantly greater risk of HSA if you have to transfer your entire mash to the kettle and back again than just a decoction. Personally I'm not concerned about HSA either way. Many, including myself, consider it substantially to be a myth.

You could always do a mixed method, infusing your first few rests and then decocting for the remainder. It seems inefficient to transfer the entire mash to heat and return it to the MLT, especially since you are sure to lose some temperature in the transfer.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

That's perfect !! Idk why I didn't think of that as well. I can infuse up to the 1.5qt per pound ratio then decoct the mash through the other steps. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS