Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Culturing Dregs from Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
DannPM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Culturing Dregs from Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

So I had a bottle, saved the dregs, pitched them into a 1.040 2 cups starter and I'm not seeing the usual action I do from the s. cervsae strains.

I expected something different with a lambic strain, and I do see some sediment on the bottom which I assume to be the yeast, and it does has a slightly funky smell, but its mostly worty smelling.

Anyone with experience culturing lambic dregs have any advice? I'm having a lot of trouble finding good advice on culturing lambic dregs. Any helpful links would also be much appreciated!

Time to have some fun

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm pretty certain this beer is filtered or pasteurized. I've tried growing the dregs up from this beer twice and never had any luck with them

Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
I'm pretty certain this beer is filtered or pasteurized. I've tried growing the dregs up from this beer twice and never had any luck with them
That's what I was afraid of but I've also seen some sources (not at hand right now) that say that the Cuvée René from Lindeman's was not. I have heard that all of them were flash pasteurized though as well. I wish there was more info on this online!

Time to have some fun

Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

According to oldsock's site, cuvee rene in not pasturized:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com...tle-dregs.html

Assuming the one he lists- "oude gueze" -is the regular one that's pretty easy to find. Searching around i couldn't find anything that lists them as two separate beers. The only reason i bring that up is because I know sometimes little subtleties in the names can designate an entirely different beer.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
sleepydave
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cuvee Rene is most definitely NOT Pasturized. I have a very nice yeast sample from the dregs I just recently cultured. They went pretty nuts for a while, very active very quickly for me.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier today, I literally just barely put them into a vial from the bottle a few hours ago.

Although I've found with culturing lambics sometimes it's nearly two weeks and no activity but I'll see the beginnings of a pellicle.

I'd say toss in some yeast nutrient, aerate, and see if they'll wake up a bit more. How long has it been going?

Cheers,
Dave

------------------------------------------------
Misinformation hurts my soul!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
faithinchaos
Recipes 

i think i saw a couple of posts about this beer being good for culturing on BBB but recently i added dregs from 2 bottles to a cup of unhopped 1.030 wort and got nothing.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
DregAddict
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not sure if it's pasteurized or not, but if there is viable yeast in there, it is probably pretty old and strained. You might have given them too much too quickly. I try to make my first wort at 1.020 and only use a couple of ounces. Give that a little time then build it up step by step, increasing wort gravity and volume gradually.

Great beer by the way. I bet you could get some good stuff from the bottle. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
faithinchaos
Recipes 

while that sounds good and might be right, i have never had a problem with my method before. just sayin...

Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
winnph
Recipes 

Definitely can culture Cuvée René dregs. I pitched the dregs into this wort (which was about 1.030-35ish) on March 18, and it had a pretty noticeable sacc-like fermentation after about 4 days, which subsided a few days ago, and now there are slightly larger bubbles starting to form what looks to become a pellicle of some sort:

It was aerated for about 15 minutes via stir plate, then roused once every couple days for the first week or so. Since then, it's just been sitting.

Now, I have to decide what to do with it....

Old 04-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I agree that what's in there is likely old and I would suspect that most of the viable yeast is brett rather than sacc. Especially if your bottle is fairly old. I harvested Orval dregs to get some brett B. I had a rough go at it because it took a couple of weeks and dropping the ph before the brett finally got itself moving.

Quick Reply