Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Culturing Dregs from Jolly Pumpkin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Culturing Dregs from Jolly Pumpkin

On Sunday my wife and I had a Bottle of Oro de Calabaza for lunch, and i took the bottle home to make a starter from the dregs. I got a little surprise after the first day, I stopped the sir plate and let the yest settle out and low and behold a pellicle formed over night.
library-436.jpg

library-437.jpg

library-438.jpg

I think I will pour a plate and streak out the bugs and see what is in there. But the plan is to step this starter up one more time and pitch this into a golden strong batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ive had pretty good luck with the dregs in their beers, probably because they are a lot more fresh than your typical sour

Old 02-26-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a culture from JP as well...LaRoja for me. Definitely didn't get a pellicle, I'm surprised by that.

Unfortunately, I used the seemingly healthy culture as a primary yeast and got less than desirable attenuation. After 3 months, the flavor is coming along nicely though. Very reminiscent of the commercial beer.

I wonder if using a yeast from a sour beer as a primary yeast is a bad idea. Too tough to guarantee healthy yeast. Obviously, it was unnecessary since I could have gone and bought some WLP550, which is what JP uses.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
Bsquared

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbillionethans View Post
eI made a culture from JP as well...LaRoja for me. Definitely didn't get a pellicle, I'm surprised by that.

Unfortunately, I used the seemingly healthy culture as a primary yeast and got less than desirable attenuation. After 3 months, the flavor is coming along nicely though. Very reminiscent of the commercial beer.

I wonder if using a yeast from a sour beer as a primary yeast is a bad idea. Too tough to guarantee healthy yeast. Obviously, it was unnecessary since I could have gone and bought some WLP550, which is what JP uses.
This is some thing I was thinking too,to Use a good primary yeast like 530 or 550 with the dregs. I'm planing on doing a 10gallon batch and splitting it. One will be all dregs, and the other will be 530 + dregs.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow. I'm curious what you find. There has been a bit of a debate going on here as to what's in it since there isn't a strong brett character yet the sour character is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 02-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Wow. I'm curious what you find. There has been a bit of a debate going on here as to what's in it since there isn't a strong brett character yet the sour character is nice.
The "Can You Brew It" show on the BN has 2 really great interviews with Ron Jeffries. He says right out with no reservations that he uses WLP550 as his primary strain. No concrete info on what additional organisms are present.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Bsquared

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbillionethans View Post
The "Can You Brew It" show on the BN has 2 really great interviews with Ron Jeffries. He says right out with no reservations that he uses WLP550 as his primary strain. No concrete info on what additional organisms are present.
He also said that he uses open fermentation, and keeps the windows open at night to cool the fermentation and allow for the wild yeast of Dexter to get in there. I think Maraz did that brew and he pitched it two ways, one with cultured dregs and one with WLP550. If I remember right they liked the 550 batch.

I think the tough part with the dregs is the Ratio of Bugs:Brett:Sacc that you get when you culture will be different than His inoculated barrels. I think by isolating them on a plate and growing them up individually would allow me to play with these ratios a little.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah, they liked the batch with the WLP550 better, but I thought the results were confounded by the fact that they drank the beer so young...only a couple months.

If you're able to do the isolation, that's great. More advanced than I am currently.

By just adding dregs, I agree I'm at the mercy of what I get from the bottle. I guess that's similar, though, to using a blend from WLP/WY. You're going to get a product that is the result of that lab's blend, not any conscious decision of what individual organisms to add and when they are added.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
tszetela
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I spoke with Ron from Jolly P about this several years ago (actually I was trying to get some of his yeast but the answer to that is listed above!) Likementioned above, he said the best thing to do is use commercial yeast (I like using Wyeast 3463 & 1388) then pitch the dregs after primary is finished. So I took his guidelines from B.L.A.M. and did just that. The Big Bitter Blonde is now a regular visitor every summer! This summer will be her 4th year and I think I am going to add some lemon flavors this time......

Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Bsquared

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tszetela View Post
I spoke with Ron from Jolly P about this several years ago (actually I was trying to get some of his yeast but the answer to that is listed above!) Likementioned above, he said the best thing to do is use commercial yeast (I like using Wyeast 3463 & 1388) then pitch the dregs after primary is finished. So I took his guidelines from B.L.A.M. and did just that. The Big Bitter Blonde is now a regular visitor every summer! This summer will be her 4th year and I think I am going to add some lemon flavors this time......
I looked at my plates I streaked out last night, One was incubated at 25ºC, and the other at 37ºC. It was a little early for the room temp(25ºC) plate but the 37ºC plate had some good cultures growing on it. From my quick inspection I could see two distinct colony types, one smooth and the other had Pseudomycelia reminiscent of that seen with Brettanomyces. I did not see what looked like Bacteria, but I will have to look again tonight, and pick a few colonies to grow up and analyze better. I imagine that the bacterial component might be really small, and they will be not as fit after being in a predominately yeast culture, so they might take a little longer to develop a colony.

I'll post some pictures tonight, The plates look really cool!

This is sounding more like what I will be doing, doing the primary fermentation with WLP550 ( White labs is just easier to get here in SD) and then pitching a culture of the isolated Brett. colony into the secondary with some oak cubes that have been soaked in water for a couple weeks.

Quick Reply