Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Is this culture okay?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
marqoid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Is this culture okay?

This was supposed to be a culture from the dregs of a beatification batch 6.
It was a basic low gravity wort from DME with the dregs from a single bottle pitched ~6 weeks ago into a 1 quart mason jar. Initially it looked fine, but it has developed a green mold.
Will the mold be taken care of by acid or do I need to trash it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 167

You have to get rid of that.

You didn't describe your process, but when stepping up bottle dregs, you use small volumes to start, then increase (usually by a factor of 10) until you have the proper pitching amount. For example, bottle dregs would go into 10ml of low gravity wort, then after a day or two, the culture would be stepped up to 100ml of wort, then a liter. By putting very low numbers of cells of interest (yeast or bacteria) into a large volume of wort, you increase your chances that a contaminating organism will outgrow your cells.

Dregs from one bottle into a quart of wort for 6 weeks is a recipe for contamination, sorry to say.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
marqoid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
You have to get rid of that.

You didn't describe your process, but when stepping up bottle dregs, you use small volumes to start, then increase (usually by a factor of 10) until you have the proper pitching amount. For example, bottle dregs would go into 10ml of low gravity wort, then after a day or two, the culture would be stepped up to 100ml of wort, then a liter. By putting very low numbers of cells of interest (yeast or bacteria) into a large volume of wort, you increase your chances that a contaminating organism will outgrow your cells.

Dregs from one bottle into a quart of wort for 6 weeks is a recipe for contamination, sorry to say.
Thanks, that's what I thought. This was a little impromptu, I wasn't planning on using these dregs to start with.
In the past I have successfully fermented a full 5 gallon batch by pitching dregs from 2 bottles, I guess I got lucky.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 670 Times on 498 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqoid View Post
In the past I have successfully fermented a full 5 gallon batch by pitching dregs from 2 bottles, I guess I got lucky.
you pitched the dregs of 2 bottles, only?!? no other yeast to help out? that seems ridiculously low. you must have great sanitation!

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
marqoid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
you pitched the dregs of 2 bottles, only?!? no other yeast to help out? that seems ridiculously low. you must have great sanitation!
I like to think so
1 bottle of Petrus aged brown and 1 bottle motherfunker.
The beer came out great. Fermentation took off within 24 hours and even blew off my carboy.

Quick Reply