Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > A Couple Questions on my First Sour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Salanis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A Couple Questions on my First Sour

Inspired by Reinheirt Wild Ale, I decided to brew a light-to-moderately soured saison. I used a Wyeast Belgian yeast, and threw in Brettanomyces Bruxellensis just as the krausen began to fall. All figured it's had about 3 weeks and it seems ready to bottle.

First concern: when to bottle? I know the brett b will devour pretty much any sugars. Do I wait and let this attenuate down to 1.000 before bottling? I checked it a week ago and it was at 1.010. If I don't wait and bottle now, do I just use less priming sugar?

Second concern: contaminated equipment? What all equipment do I need to replace or convert to dedicated sour beer duty? I single stage fermented in a 6-gal better bottle carboy. I'm planning to use an auto-siphon, plastic bottling bucket, hose, and bottling wand. Will all of that need to be replaced? If not all, what is okay, presuming that I clean it immediately?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salanis View Post
Inspired by Reinheirt Wild Ale, I decided to brew a light-to-moderately soured saison. I used a Wyeast Belgian yeast, and threw in Brettanomyces Bruxellensis just as the krausen began to fall. All figured it's had about 3 weeks and it seems ready to bottle.

First concern: when to bottle? I know the brett b will devour pretty much any sugars. Do I wait and let this attenuate down to 1.000 before bottling? I checked it a week ago and it was at 1.010. If I don't wait and bottle now, do I just use less priming sugar?
I did a lambic once and waited months, I think I first yeast for a week or 2, then racked and one of the Brett's for like 4 months. Depending on when you bottle will change the primary results- look at the yeast profile at the manufacture.

Quote:
Second concern: contaminated equipment? What all equipment do I need to replace or convert to dedicated sour beer duty? I single stage fermented in a 6-gal better bottle carboy. I'm planning to use an auto-siphon, plastic bottling bucket, hose, and bottling wand. Will all of that need to be replaced? If not all, what is okay, presuming that I clean it immediately?
I still use the same equipment - just sanatize it all. Be sure to wash it of course and careful not to scratch, but I just washed, and sanatized like normal.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

not sure the brett-b alone will sour a beer. it will funk it up for sure (yay!) but not turn it sour...

Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It won't sour it, but will give a nice funky flavor. Others' may have better information, but I think the over time (a year) the Brett will take it down about .003 (or 3 volumes of CO2). That's standard-high carbonation.

If you don't prime, the beer will be flat for several months, or more. If you prime, you risk bottle bombs if not consumed quickly, but then you will not get the Brett character.

I know it takes space, but best thing is to add the Brett and leave it for at least 6 months before bottling. More predictable, less risk.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
Salanis
Recipes 

I just got accepted to VLB in Berlin. In 6months, I'm going to be in Germany. I'm not planning to leave my beer closet sitting in storage while I'm away. Maybe I'll do a couple bottles without priming sugar to sit for the year while I'm gone.

And no, "sour" is not the word or goal I was going for. I was going for funky/wild, which the Brett B will provide.

Quick Reply