Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > couple berliner questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 303 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default couple berliner questions

I keep seeing pitching ratios for the sacc and lacto of 3:1 to 5:1 but not an association of what is what so I'm confused if I need 3-5 times as much sacc or lacto for the ratio?

malted or unmalted wheat?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Berliner is made with malted wheat. As for pitching rates, I have no idea. Wild bugs you see.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks El Exorcisto...I went through the homebrew section over at BBB and couldn't get an answer on the ratio thing. I read through a bunch of Kris England's stuff and am basing my brew off his suggestions, but I was left unsure about the ratio. Well, one question down and one to go.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
breez7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

White labs has a blend out, you could just use that...

Or I would say 3:1 of Sacc to Lacto

Old 02-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I already have a tube of lacto so I'm going to use that. As well, I'm doing a 10 gallon batch so if I made a starter for the blend I would be way out of ratio. But, thanks for the heads up on the blend, it would otherwise save the cost of buying two different tubes for a 5 gallon batch.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I would make a starter with the Lacto (low gravity, no oxygen, keep it hot). As long as it is going strong you should be fine (not sure if the ratio refers to cell count or volume or what). Keep the IBUs low, too many IBUs stop Lacto and cause most of the Berliner problems I hear about.

I would wait longer than Kristen suggests before bottling, but then I'm a bit of a nervous guy when it comes to sour beers. I also like a hint of funk in my Berliners, so I add some Brett and give then a few months before bottling.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
godofcheese
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have one running with the Wyeast blend. I think there is 4x more lacto then yeast in it with a touch of brett in there as well. A way around this is to pitch the lacto a few days ahead of the sacc to give it a head start. You should start seeing a dry film on top of the wort that may start bubbling up.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Berliner Weisse is not necessarily a wheat beer. You can use up to 100% Pilsner malt with good results. The ratio is (edited for correction) lacto to sacc. Traditional BWs always contained Brett, but that was abandoned once they moved to pure cultures sometime during the 1970s, IIRC.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, I'm on the fence about the bottling thing. Another schedule Kris gives is racking to secondary after about 4 days and then letting it sit for 7 at 75 degrees...but, I think racking is a waste of time as a general rule so I might just keep it on the yeast for around 12 days and bottle. Kris also recommends re-yeasting at bottling which seems a little odd to me given how early he's bottling and given how low the gravity is, the yeast and lacto should be in great shape. But, he seems to know exactly what he's doing so my thoughts were to try my first BW mirroring his recommendations and adjust from there.

I'm thinking doing a split batch and dumping some Avery 15 dregs into one carboy so I can do a side-by-side this summer to see what character I prefer.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #10
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
Berliner Weisse is not necessarily a wheat beer. You can use up to 100% Pilsner malt with good results. The ratio is sacc to lacto. Traditional BWs always contained Brett, but that was abandoned once they moved to pure cultures sometime during the 1970s, IIRC.
No, the ratio is lacto to sacc.

Quick Reply