Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Coolship build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #51
runs4beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post

Then your only option is to open a commercial brewery! Hahahha
Or get it to one that can press it into action (wink, wink Chugach).

Never listen to electric guitar.
-DB
Some folks look for answers
Others look for fights
Some folks up in treetops
Just look to see the sights
-RH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #52
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 84 Posts

Touche! What sort of flavors are you getting from your wild brew? I put one out when Sandy came through... lots of banana flavors so far, but they are mellowing as time goes on. Definitely clean, though.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #53
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGates14 View Post
reading about doing this, curious on updates as well as a few other questions that come to mind.

i've read about how cantillion and other places fear cleaning the area of cobwebs and other filth to ensure they aren't tampering with the yeast. would anyone do anything specific to the area they plan on keeping the coolship to make sure it's a air is cleaner (if that makes sense and is possible)? i'd like to do this in my garage, but feel like it's got all sorts of airborn nonsense. i'm thinking on building a box and then have the coolship inside.

still working on my thoughts, but those are the only concerns i've come accross so far. hope you're still progressing this idea.
They don't clean spider webs or kill spiders because spiders eat fruit flies. fruit flies carry acetobacter.

No matter what, if using a coolship, you will get stuff into your wort that you don't want. The idea is to have the good stuff out compete the bad stuff. If you aren't pumping wort into already inoculated barrels, it might be smart to put a primer in your barrel/carboy. Either some built up dregs from a commercial sour, or maybe a 1/4 gallon of a previous homebrew that turned out good.

I ended up pitching yeast into this barrel, but the priming process is outlined here: http://funkfactorybrewing.blogspot.com/2012/01/priming-barrel.html

Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #54
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Levifunk,
If you inoculate the barrel with dregs from something else or a different yeast, then why use the coolship? I feel as though the point is to gather the local yeast - if you already have yeast in your barrel then it wouldn't be too much different then chilling and pitching.
A method I've used is I make several small 1-2 gallon batches and 'coolship' them until they've fermented out. Once they have, I rack off the beer, and pitch the yeast into a larger batch. That way if it spoils I'm only wasting 1-2 gallons.
The goal of my coolship build is to make a beer that is local to my region. I've been collecting yeast in the spring/fall and so far had halfway decent results. (Although I'm not a fan of all the banana flavors...
Cheers!
CBC

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #55
Sebas83
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, coolship/koelschip is really to bring the locals in and cultivate in your brewing environment. But, inoculate ANOTHER barrel with dregs and blend to taste.

Your operation gets bigger by the day

Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #56
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugachBrewing View Post
Levifunk,
If you inoculate the barrel with dregs from something else or a different yeast, then why use the coolship? I feel as though the point is to gather the local yeast - if you already have yeast in your barrel then it wouldn't be too much different then chilling and pitching.
A method I've used is I make several small 1-2 gallon batches and 'coolship' them until they've fermented out. Once they have, I rack off the beer, and pitch the yeast into a larger batch. That way if it spoils I'm only wasting 1-2 gallons.
The goal of my coolship build is to make a beer that is local to my region. I've been collecting yeast in the spring/fall and so far had halfway decent results. (Although I'm not a fan of all the banana flavors...
Cheers!
CBC
The wild yeast from a coolship isn't trained to ferment beer. Not only that, but its a crap shoot as to what you'll get. The Belgians have had hundreds of years to refine their inoculated barrels and in effect "culture" their yeast. The yeast in the barrels is well trained to ferment beer, and there is enough microbes in the barrels to guide the fermentation and ensure a desirable result.

I am glad you and other have had decent results with simply spontaneous fermentation, but I have heard many others (and experienced it myself with test batches) of 100% spontaneous fermentation turning out undrinkable. You just don't know if the wild sacchro is going to be strong enough to out compete the wild enteric bacteria. And if it is, will the wild Brett, Pedio, Lacto also be strong enough to result in a well rounded and complex beer? Its very doubtful.

Knowing you have good sacchro that will out compete enteric bacteria will make sure you don't end up with poison. Knowing you have good brett/pedio/lacto will ensure you have a well rounded beer. The coolship will introduce new strains of these which will add to your complexity. If you reuse some of that yeast to prime your next carboy, or reuse the same barrel, you will carry those new yeasts to the next batch which will have further new yeast added to it via the coolship. This is the process the Belgians went through, and in time you will build that "house flavor".
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #57
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Sounds good, that's kind of what I've been doing. Although at this point I'm keeping many yeast samples, trying to find a wild one that I want to keep around. Then IT will go in the barrel. I just wasn't sure about how your methods, somewhere earlier in the explanation I was a little lost with the pre-barrel wash. Gracie.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #58
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Update: Coolship season is coming to Maine soon. Just ordered the drain parts from bargainfittings and got 100lb or raw wheat waiting to bite at it. Need to finish polishing and we'll be sailing soon.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #59
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2151 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugachBrewing View Post
Update: Coolship season is coming to Maine soon. Just ordered the drain parts from bargainfittings and got 100lb or raw wheat waiting to bite at it. Need to finish polishing and we'll be sailing soon.
Pictures?

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #60
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe

Pictures?
This ^^^

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!