Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Coolship build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #41
BGates14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenghali View Post
next up, open fermentation! hopefully most of the coolshippers have a dedicated shed to build up some microflora in there!
The idea in my head right now is to build an enclosure out of bricks, have the coolship on top and have storage for barrels in the bottom. Above would be some type of canopy over the coolship that would build up some microflora. Maybe even put a hop garden on the roof and start having hop vines entangle the whole thing.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #42
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGates14

The idea in my head right now is to build an enclosure out of bricks, have the coolship on top and have storage for barrels in the bottom. Above would be some type of canopy over the coolship that would build up some microflora. Maybe even put a hop garden on the roof and start having hop vines entangle the whole thing.
Everyone claims that the secret to Cantillon's coolship is the steam hits the rafters above and condenses, dripping back down with bugs. Maybe dig up some really old oak siding from a barn to put up ontop to get some awesome bugs

I think barrels with coolship ales makes it soooo much cooler.

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #43
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 85 Posts

That is a neat idea. Being a homebrewer, I don't strive for the consistency of a Cantillon style brewery - so I like change. I think wild yeasts really allow us to capture a time and a place - a truly 'local' brew that no one else can produce anywhere, ever again. It will be interesting to see how the vintages change during time of season, year, location, etc.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Don't like ads on the net? Make sure you have Adblock!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #44
runs4beer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

At my parents house in New Hampshire we have a 4x8 foot stainless "bath" that my grandfather used for developing large ad posters in the '60. it's 10" and slopes down to one corner where there's a 1.5" threaded drain pipe. It would be an ideal cool ship but I'm only doing 10 gallon batches and live in suburban NYC but some day...
Off the top of my head I think the capacity would be b/t 200-250 gallons, if I were to drop a one or even two bbl. Batch in it I would imagine it would cool very quickly and exposure to the bugs be ideal.

Never listen to electric guitar.
-DB
Some folks look for answers
Others look for fights
Some folks up in treetops
Just look to see the sights
-RH

Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #45
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 85 Posts

Just sent you a PM. Let me know if you don't get it.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Don't like ads on the net? Make sure you have Adblock!

Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #46
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 39

runs4beer - not accounting for the slope, that is 199 gallons. pretty cool!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #47
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runs4beer
At my parents house in New Hampshire we have a 4x8 foot stainless "bath" that my grandfather used for developing large ad posters in the '60. it's 10" and slopes down to one corner where there's a 1.5" threaded drain pipe. It would be an ideal cool ship but I'm only doing 10 gallon batches and live in suburban NYC but some day...
Off the top of my head I think the capacity would be b/t 200-250 gallons, if I were to drop a one or even two bbl. Batch in it I would imagine it would cool very quickly and exposure to the bugs be ideal.
Awesome! Talk to a local homebrewers club and fill a wine barrel as a collab beer!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 01-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #48
runs4beer
Recipes 

Dp

-DB
Others look for fights
-RH

Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #49
runs4beer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post

Awesome! Talk to a local homebrewers club and fill a wine barrel as a collab beer!
I think a vessel this size will need a some what permanent set up, I believe cool ships need to be enclosed to keep the non-microscopic wildlife out (fruit fly, raccoons...), alot of work for a one off brew.
I found a big stainless steel kitty litter pan at petco that holds 5.5 gallon to the brim and on a cool night in September I put that out under the fig tree with a sheet of BIAB cloth clipped over the top. I fill it with second runnings (1.038og) from a wheat wine figuring there's no loss if it's a failure. Right now it has a very thin pellicle and there there was a fair amount of action in the air lock early on. I'm content with this for now.

-DB
Others look for fights
-RH

Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #50
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runs4beer

I think a vessel this size will need a some what permanent set up, I believe cool ships need to be enclosed to keep the non-microscopic wildlife out (fruit fly, raccoons...), alot of work for a one off brew.
I found a big stainless steel kitty litter pan at petco that holds 5.5 gallon to the brim and on a cool night in September I put that out under the fig tree with a sheet of BIAB cloth clipped over the top. I fill it with second runnings (1.038og) from a wheat wine figuring there's no loss if it's a failure. Right now it has a very thin pellicle and there there was a fair amount of action in the air lock early on. I'm content with this for now.
Then your only option is to open a commercial brewery! Hahahha

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Quick Reply