New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > "continuously" fermenting Brett beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #11
ChrisKennedy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

$100 max. For $100 I would hope you are getting a barrel that the winery has prepped and is ready to go. Most I have seen from wineries/distilleries cost in the $50-60 range.

As for samples, you could follow the Russian River/Avery method and nail a SS nail into the barrel, and make sure you can remove it with a bit of effort, but that it is in there good enough to stay. Remove the SS nail to sample, replace to plug it up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
Bearto
Recipes 

I do something similar with carboys and my conical. I have different blends of Sacc and Brett strains that I use continuously. When I brew, I bottle, and pour the fresh beer on top of the old secondary cake. Typically I throw out the primary sludge. You could do the same thing but pull out only a few gallons to bottle. Prolonged bottle conditioning is supposed to help get more complexitybut to be honest it is so darn hard to not finish it. Also, why not consider a 12-14 gallon demi-john? If you can pick it up, they can be had for like $60.

One last thought, if you want oak and gas exchange, I'll share that I was able to cut a hole through a universal stopper like this: (Universal Stopper With Hole | MoreBeer) and stuck a 2 foot long 1" diameter oak dowel through it. Filled the gap with silicone so all gas exchange goes through the oak. seems to be working nice. Been groing funky for about a year and a half. I've added fresh wort on occasion, and pulled some out to blend into other beers.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearto View Post
Also, why not consider a 12-14 gallon demi-john? If you can pick it up, they can be had for like $60.
Good suggestion. I also thought about using a keg - legally obtained, of course.

Quick Reply