Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > contemplating an herbal brew with damiana, mugwort, weird stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
scottmd06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I still need to find these different herbs and see how the taste/smell before I even commit to which I want to experiment with. Im just reluctant to start ordering herbs I may never use because they would ruin the flavor of a beer. Ill try to research some of the combinations that you guys have suggested.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #22
Nokitchen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Be careful with that book. It had some interesting-looking recipies but the author clearly has an axe to grind and believes some things that are, well, let's just say they're not well-sourced by historians.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #23
Tim_Hall
Recipes 

I know this thread is old, but I have a little experience here.

I've used damiana in brews several times. I recommend adding just before flameout (let it steep for at least 5 mins), plus "dry hopping." You can use a decent amount. The flavor is somewhat akin to sage, but not as earthy - a little cooler, brighter, almost minty, but not menthol. Very slightly fruity.

In Mexico they make liqueurs that are flavored exclusively with damiana.

Watch out using "natural smoke" recipes for herbal brews. Some of those herbs don't work well as drink. Lobelia in particular has a terrible bitter taste as a tea - like stale chewing tobacco.

I have a copy of Buhner's book. Great herbal reference, but I would suggest carefully considering using any of the actual recipes/techniques for brewing. If you know how to brew, you can use the herbal info and skip the brewing info.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
hxxbin
Recipes 

Can I use Damiana Liquor? I have a bottle getting old, some maybe I could use it with a Pale Ale...

Old 11-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #25
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I recently saw damiana and some other interesting herbs at a local ethnic grocery store and thought about how I could use them in brewing but since I didn't know much about them I gave them a pass at this time. Not sure I want herby beer with psychoactive properties.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #26
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Guys, anytime you see damiana or other herbs being sold as psychedelic, be aware that they are what's called "spice", which is normal herbs sprayed with the new synthetic THC chemicals which have been legal, but are now getting added to the controlled substance list.

These chemicals are water soluble, but are totally unresearched for human consumption. They are surprisingly potent, and while there aren't many official overdoses, the potential is there.

So if you want to experiment with herbs, make sure you are buying the "pure" herb and not the sprayed, quasi-legal synthetic cannabinoids.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 11-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #27
hxxbin
Recipes 

I feel really confuse with all the Damiana stuff. Here at Mexico, Damiana usually can be buy in liquour or plain and dry leaves to make tea. There's not any concern about possible psychedelic effects, in fact you can normally buy martinis with vodka and damiana in a bar (they tastes great, using Absolute Citrus)

Is a different Damiana at United States or what?

Returning to my question, could I add some liquor in the bottling phase?

Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxxbin View Post
Damiana usually can be buy in liquour or plain and dry leaves to make tea. There's not any concern about possible psychedelic effects,
Exactly. Normal damiana isn't psychoactive at all, except for a slight stimulant effect.

When you see 'damiana' advertised as psychoactive in the US, it is because it's been coated with synthetic cannabinoids. As such I would NOT recommend its usage in beer, due to (a) the potential for overdose and (b) its sketchy legal status (the cannabinoids, not the plant itself, although the line get blurry).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damiana

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 11-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #29
hxxbin
Recipes 

I have a Hefe Weizen in fermentation, I'll add some Damiana liquor before bottling... I hope this works :P

Old 06-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #30
Alistechbumb
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry this is old but being a rookie and actually utilizing the search option I found this thread. Did anyone actually experiment and if so how did things turn out? I have been brewing for a few years now (no pro by any means) and have really been drawn to using more homegrown herbs in conjunction with my homegrown hops or even in place of them. I read an article in BYO a while back that brought up creeping Charlie, sage and a few other herbs for brewing. I have the raw material but am looking for ideas. I was thinking of just brewing a nice light session beer with the addition or replacement of hops with herbs just to experiment a little. Any results you all had would be appreciated.

Quick Reply