Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #61
leolee86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd
I think you've got an error there, with the est IBUs. There's no way they could be that high with that small amount of low AA hops. Most sour brews are never over 25ish, but I think the hops in your recipe would be in the teens for IBUs which would be appropriate for this beer. The hop bill looks perfect, but the IBU calculation is wrong.
I just copy and pasted what the piece of paper from morebeer said. I don't agree with them either..but didn't want to change what they typed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #62
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael View Post
As far as the RR chips, I think that people are making starters with the wood to build up the colony and see if it tastes ok before pitching into the beer. Otherwise, a smack pack would definitely take over the batch before the RR bugs had a chance to propagate.
Yeah I kind of figured that this is the primary reason for getting the chunks however I haven't seen anyone really post about this yet. Any suggestions on the best way to do this, sizing, and timing? I'm guessing a 1L starter cooled and then just drop the chunks in? I'm guessing no aeration so as not to get any aceto character?

Then when to pitch?

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 06-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #63
leolee86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

From what I'm reading on the directions in the kit. It's saying after primary with the abby, rack onto the currents and pitch the sour blend...wait for the desired sourness..then re rack and pitch the chips...from what I'm seeing its just oak flavor and the ability to saying I aged this on rr barrel chips..not so much the bugs in the wood

Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #64
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolee86 View Post
I just copy and pasted what the piece of paper from morebeer said. I don't agree with them either..but didn't want to change what they typed
Gotcha - I kinda thought that might be the case, I just didn't want anyone using the recipe to read that and say "Wow, I better bump up my hops to 88 IBUs" and end up with a non-sour Bretty dark IPA.

Maybe if Jipper is reading this he can look into having them fix that.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #65
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey All,

The recipe sheets were incorrect. The hop schedule should leave you between 15-19 IBU, so I would stick to the hops and hop schedule provided and am very sorry for the typo on the recipe sheets! If anybody has any questions regarding the grain/extract/hops included please let me know and I will gladly answer those for you. Again, very sorry for the incorrect information (IBU, SRM, and Estimated ABV were incorrect on the original recipe sheets that were sent out)

Cheers!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:39 AM   #66
leolee86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Jipper On a different note I order a shallow grave porter all grain kit as well and the sheet I got was for extract..is there anyway you could message me the mash temp and hop schedule

Old 06-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #67
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts

Hey Leolee,

Sorry for not getting you the correct recipe sheet for that kit, but good choice on the Shallow Grave! The hop schedule will remain the same as the extract version, and I would recommend mashing at 153-155*F. If you had the ability, I would recommend mashing at 147-149*F for 20 minutes, and raising the temp to 153-155*F until starch conversion is complete (30-40 minutes longer). I brewed a 15.5 gallon batch of this when we had first released it, and ended up oaking 5 gallons just for fun with 1oz of French oak cubes, medium toast. Both the oaked and non-oaked beers came out very well, but splitting that batch was a fun experiment!

Let me know if anyone has any other questions regarding our kits and I'll gladly help with those - cheers!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #68
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My kit just shipped yesterday. Can't wait to get this one going.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 06-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #69
tmains
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For those pitching from dregs of Consecration bottles-

wouldn't you just be pitching mainly the wine yeast? Vinnie bottle conditions with Rockpile wine yeast. So not only are you having bugs eat away... you'd be fermenting your beer with wine yeast. Right?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #70
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmains View Post
For those pitching from dregs of Consecration bottles-

wouldn't you just be pitching mainly the wine yeast? Vinnie bottle conditions with Rockpile wine yeast. So not only are you having bugs eat away... you'd be fermenting your beer with wine yeast. Right?
Same question here for those that grow up pitches from dregs for sour beers. Even if there was no bottling yeast put in there, wouldn't the ratio of bugs (and therefore flavor / effect) be different after growing these up?

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Quick Reply