Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #351
Brewing_on_the_Internet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I used BugCounty in my version but it's only a month old.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #352
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I stupidly placed about a quart leftover wort from primary bucket which didn't fit in the secondary better bottles, into an Erlenmeyer flask. My only stopper is a foam one, which will let in plenty of Oxygen... DOH! I might check the gravity. It's been about two months now.

Getting ready to pitch my roeselare blend into the half done in the RR way. The other half I had pitched the roeselare from day one. I think I am going to put some oak in both halves and check the gravity.

Any guidelines about when to set the solid bung in place of the airlock??

TD

Old 01-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #353
hllywd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mine is on the right. It's similar, but not the same. At 16 months the Roselare hasn't produced near the tartness of the 013113 batch of the real brew. Alcohol is on, color is on... maybe a fuzz light, oak is right, the aroma is close, but mine even lacks the tartness there. After 20 minutes in the glass mine still has a bit of foam while the Consecration has almost none. The flavor is really good, but in my opinion the Roselare falls short to make a true copy of this beer. I hope the ECY packs a little more punch.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:14 AM   #354
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback!

Did you use the kit, or go it on your own?
Did you follow the RR method (WLP530 then add Brett! then add roeselare in stepwise fashion allowing weeks between each?)

Not sure if you are able to report you gravity and/pH of either the real version and your version to see how those compare?

Color looks spot on.

I can't get the real stuff where I live. I split my batch into two and pitched the roeselare right off the bat into half. I'm only about two months into it so far, so I have a long way to go.

When did you add you oak, and can you comment on the oak flavor? How long did you let it sit on the oak before bottling?
Did you attempt to add and wine yeast or anything to simulate the wine barrel flavors?

I'm feeling like a kid waiting for Santa on this beer. Haven't felt like that in a long long time. So sorry for all the questions...

Thanks for sharing

TD

Old 01-20-2014, 02:21 AM   #355
Nesto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hllywd View Post

Mine is on the right. It's similar, but not the same. At 16 months the Roselare hasn't produced near the tartness of the 013113 batch of the real brew. Alcohol is on, color is on... maybe a fuzz light, oak is right, the aroma is close, but mine even lacks the tartness there. After 20 minutes in the glass mine still has a bit of foam while the Consecration has almost none. The flavor is really good, but in my opinion the Roselare falls short to make a true copy of this beer. I hope the ECY packs a little more punch.

Thanks, you made me feel better. Turns out me and my brew buddy cut it a little short on souring time - we were just too impatient - but we had exactly the same notes: tastes great, good oak, nice barnyard flavors. But the tartness is lacking. You must be right: Roselare just doesn't have the right punch of bacteria to do as much souring as this beer needs.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 AM   #356
hllywd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Mine is from the kit. The current pH with my not recently calibrated meter with almost dead batteries is 3.71 for mine, and 3.4 for the real thing. I used Wyeast Abbey Ale II and it went off like a rocket at about 68*F. I over shot the recommended 1.016 a bit, and racked into an overnight starter I made of the currants, a quart of starter wort, and the Roselare inside the first week. The beer was stored at room temperature to maybe 80*F last summer in an unconditioned room. I racked the beer onto the oak back in November planning to bottle a couple weeks after we got back from vacation. I had flushed the carboy with CO2, but a new pelicle had formed, and the oak actually sank by the time I kegged it last week, so 2 months on the oak is fine. Since I didn't bottle I didn't add any yeast. I think the fruit provides plenty of wine-like character as the real beer has. Started @ 1.073, finished @ .996 for 10% ABV .

Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #357
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Wonder if you could pour a glass and titrate the pH to match the real deal using lactic acid. Might use an eye dropper and your stir plate to get the number of drops per bottle right , possibly sacrificing one bottle. Then you could apply to the rest of your bottles adding to glass before pouring beer so as to avoid stirring and decarbonating what you're going to be drinking. This might help add the sour bite you want. Just an idea.

TD

Old 01-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #358
hllywd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

After the comparison I actually woke up with that idea this morning. I have the lactic acid so I'm going to give that a try tonight.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #359
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Cool! Let us know how it turns out and compares!

TD

Old 01-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #360
The_Nid_Hog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think that there's some discussion deeper in the thread about whether or not to add lactic acid to a batch that's insufficiently sour. A recent BYO recipe (maybe it was Supplication) shows an addition of lactic acid for the extract version, but I've heard that Vinnie recommends against it. I think I'd be inclined to try a little in a sample to see if you like it or not. Another possibility would be to let your consecration continue to ride it out and try to brew up some kind of very sour beer to blend with it. I saw a post on Old Sock/Mad Fermentationist's blog where he said that RR uses a high acid beer that they brew to do that. Has anybody here done that?

I have had my batch of Consecration going in primary for a couple of weeks now. I added Abbey II, Brett L, Lacto and Pedio directly in primary rather than the stages that the recipe suggested. I'm getting ready to rack it onto currants in secondary pretty soon. When I do that, I'll probably brew an oud bruin and pour it into primary onto the old yeast cake so I don't have to let all that goodness go to waste.

Quick Reply