Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #281
nikolausp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
More like 1 gram.

Can anybody else confirm this and/or add any additional info to this? I'm getting ready to bottle tonight, and want to make sure I put the right amount of Wine Yeast in the bottling bucket, along with the priming sugar.

Also, after I bottle the beer, is it best to let it carbonate at room temp, or can I (or should I) stick it in a fridge?

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #282
chuckp
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Does anyone know what volume of CO2 that RR carbonates their Consecration to?

I cant seem to find that information anywhere.

Thanks,

Chuck

Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #283
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I used ECY Bugfarm 5 on mine, tasted it a few weeks ago ~10 months old and has been on the currents for 6 months. Gravity was 1.014, too damn high, but didnt come across as sweet at all, slightly astringent, tart, light to medium body. Was very drinkable still, I drank a 6 oz glass easily.

I would like it to be much more dry, I am going to add some dregs shortly and see if things dry out at all.

Blog:
http://riverwards.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ecoff

Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #284
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2166 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
I used ECY Bugfarm 5 on mine, tasted it a few weeks ago ~10 months old and has been on the currents for 6 months. Gravity was 1.014, too damn high, but didnt come across as sweet at all, slightly astringent, tart, light to medium body. Was very drinkable still, I drank a 6 oz glass easily.

I would like it to be much more dry, I am going to add some dregs shortly and see if things dry out at all.
Any thoughts on the high gravity? I've not sampled my bug farm batch, it's coming up on 8 months. I do remember Joe telling me there would be a big change between 10 months and 12 months, but 1.014 is still surprisingly high.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #285
Coff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Any thoughts on the high gravity? I've not sampled my bug farm batch, it's coming up on 8 months. I do remember Joe telling me there would be a big change between 10 months and 12 months, but 1.014 is still surprisingly high.
I dont know if its maybe the zante currants or what but Ive used Bugfarm 4-5 times and its always been dry after 3-6 months. I'm a bit stumped, Ive done bigger beers then this with Bugfarm before and still had high attenuation. Not that this is a sign or anything but there isnt even any positive pressure in the airlock, so I really dont think much is happening.

I am going to add some additional bugs, and maybe a small 3711 slurry to help dry it out.

Blog:

Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #286
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Is there a slight sickness to the beer at all? I've found that sometimes even after 8 months with my ECY beers I end up with a slightly higher viscosity and that throws off the hydrometer. My imperial stout right now is a perfect example of a thrown off hydrometer. I measured gravity two weeks ago or so and it was 1.032ish. Then when I racked to the barrel one of them went back up to 1.041 obviously the rope is throwing it off. Even a very slight amount can have an effect on the gravity. When the rope is thin enough it's tough to discern whether its rope or body especially when it's not stringy snot like I subjected a friend to on Saturday. He almost puked because I handed him gelatinous blob of imperial stout in a glass and said here taste this. I turned around to him displaying an awful wretching face with strings of stout snot strung between his lips and the taster glass.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

m00se Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #287
Coff
Recipes 

It didnt seem viscous to me at all, I shared it with a friend and he didnt notice anything like that from the notes he sent me. I'll add some dregs and taste it again in 2 months.

Blog:

Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #288
bellsbrat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Jipper,

You said too much brett did you add it with the currants before the lacto and pedio. do you think it would be advantageous to do a starter for the brett and add it at the same time or just leave less time in between the two pitches . what would you do different than last time to get the RR flayva
what about soaking the cubes in Cab for a couple of days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post
I just hooked up my keg that was brewed last June and it came fairly close. A little too much oak, added more currants than the recipe suggested which was a mistake, and not quite the same sour (more brett, less lacto than the real deal). The aroma however is almost identical, and the alcohol content is almost spot on (calculated mine to 9.92% - real deal is 10.00%).
Thanks,
Bells
Keg1: Zombie Dust Clone
Keg2: Pils1
Keg3: Pils2 Dry Hopped
Keg4: Centennial blonde
Bottled: Northern German Alt, Surly Cynic
Future:

Old 08-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #289
wheidem1
Recipes 

Jipper,
Couple of questions for you. You had mentioned you had kegged. Did you do anything prior to kegging, such as add a wine strain of yeast or any priming sugar to your keg, or did you simply force carbonate?

I have been working this recipe since November of 2012. My secondary currently sits within my fermentation chamber holding a tight 70 degrees. I did get a light pellicle to form in late July and it continues to be present today.

Now I am looking to the future for finishing advise. My plan was to force carbonate then bottle for aging. However, now I am hearing more and more individuals adding wine yeast and going straight to bottle for conditioning.

Thus, I am looking for advise to devise a plan to finish the beer. It is sad, I have read this post multiple times and no one seems to have a quantitative plan of finishing this delight, especially with the time involved!

Thus, looking for any advise from you or anyone else for that matter that can be given.
Force carbonate? Then bottle?
Add wine yeast and priming sugar to keg, condition then bottle transfer for further conditioning?
Add wine yeast and priming sugar and bottle condition?

Anyone?

Old 08-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #290
Coff
Recipes 

I plan to add wine yeast and bottle condition, as is done in the original. What is it youre trying to gain by counterpressure filling the beer?

Blog:

Quick Reply