Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #261
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 3266

Not to be "that guy" but does anyone have a written out recipe for this or is it one of those all the grains in one bag kits?

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #262
nikolausp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've read this whole thread, and I don't see any info on what to do with the wine yeast at bottling time. Do I just transfer beer from my carboy to the bottling bucket, add in some dry wine yeast (recipe doesn't say which kind), stir it slowly to combine, and then bottle? Do you add any priming sugar, or just 1 small packet of wine yeast? Is this wine yeast ok? (this is what I can get locally):

http://www.defalcos.com/virtuemart.h...category_id=81

http://www.defalcos.com/virtuemart.h...category_id=81

Another question I have, is what is the best way to transfer from my carboy to my bottling bucket? Right now there is all kinds of stuff in the carboy, like the floating currants, all the white bubbly stuff on the surface, etc etc. I'm not sure how to transfer to the bottling bucket, and then to the bottles, without getting that stuff in the bottling bucket or bottles.

Thanks!

PS - I brewed this Consecration kit 1 year ago.... July 2012.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #263
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey nikolausp,

Good questions! You will want to use 4oz of priming sugar for bottling, and you'll want to rehydrate the wine yeast prior to pitching that. When you're ready to bottle, boil two cups of water with your priming sugar for 5-10 minutes, and cool that down to the temperature of your beer. While that's boiling, rehydrate the wine yeast (you can follow the instructions on how to do so here). Pitch the yeast into the sugar water, then rack your beer on top of that in the bottling bucket.

I would recommend a normal racking cane, but you can get a screen for it to prevent the cane from clogging up. The screen can be found by clicking here. It will only fit 3/8" racking canes however, so please make sure you have the right size cane prior to purchasing. The white bubbly stuff is your pelicle, and that may or may not fall back into the beer. Your best bet to avoid that from getting into your bottling bucket is insert the racking cane carefully, so as not to disturb the pelicle. Rack from near the bottom, but not all the way down at the bottom (to avoid clogging as much as possible).

When giving us the recipe Vinnie didn't specify which wine yeast to use. The main reason for using wine yeast is because the pH will be too low for any beer yeast to ferment in. Since it will only be fermenting 4oz. of corn sugar I don't think you'd notice a difference between different wine yeasts used to bottle condition, so I would think either of those links you mentioned would work just fine. Just make sure it's capable of fermenting in a low pH environment (all wine yeasts that I know of can do this just fine).

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask! Good luck, and I hope it turns out well for you. I just hooked up my keg that was brewed last June and it came fairly close. A little too much oak, added more currants than the recipe suggested which was a mistake, and not quite the same sour (more brett, less lacto than the real deal). The aroma however is almost identical, and the alcohol content is almost spot on (calculated mine to 9.92% - real deal is 10.00%).

Enjoy!

Old 07-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #264
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post
Hey nikolausp,

Good questions! You will want to use 4oz of priming sugar for bottling, and you'll want to rehydrate the wine yeast prior to pitching that. When you're ready to bottle, boil two cups of water with your priming sugar for 5-10 minutes, and cool that down to the temperature of your beer. While that's boiling, rehydrate the wine yeast (you can follow the instructions on how to do so here). Pitch the yeast into the sugar water, then rack your beer on top of that in the bottling bucket.
Isn't 4oz of priming sugar in a year old beer going to end up being under 2 volumes of co2?

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #265
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmm. Not certain exactly how many volumes that will put the beer at, but I'm not sure why the age of the beer would change how much CO2 4oz. of sugar will put off. Not the best at calculating volumes by any means though, so that could be correct. Does anyone else have a good idea of how to calculate volumes / amounts of corn sugar to add?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #266
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

Quote:
Hmmm. Not certain exactly how many volumes that will put the beer at, but I'm not sure why the age of the beer would change how much CO2 4oz. of sugar will put off. Not the best at calculating volumes by any means though, so that could be correct. Does anyone else have a good idea of how to calculate volumes / amounts of corn sugar to add?
I can't remember how to do the math, I just use one of the many online calculators. 4 oz of table sugar will give around 2.4 in a beer that fermented at 68 recently. The longer a beer ages, the more CO2 it releases from solution, eventually it will be completely still.

Duh, I should have known to check Kai's page.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #267
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Another suggestion for racking the beer off the crud...

use your normal racking cane, but slip a sanitized hop sack on the end with plenty of slack (think reservoir tip) that should keep out most of the large particles. The rest of the fine particles should settle out in the bottle anyway.

TD

Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #268
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Want to do this soon! Looks delicious!

Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #269
hllywd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
I just hooked up my keg that was brewed last June and it came fairly close. A little too much oak, added more currants than the recipe suggested which was a mistake, and not quite the same sour (more brett, less lacto than the real deal). The aroma however is almost identical, and the alcohol content is almost spot on (calculated mine to 9.92% - real deal is 10.00%).

Enjoy!
With that in mind, how did you do your oak? I thought about racking mine to a clean pail (or maybe a keg) before adding the oak to clear out some of the crud in the final product.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #270
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

In general when you oak these types of beer, if its the first time you use the oak (I know this kit isn't that way and the oak has been used before), do you let the oak sit in sanitized water or I have heard beer or something for a week or so to get a lot of the tannins and stuff out. Is that correct? Anything else you need to do to it? How long do you keep the oak in the beer if its virgin toasted oak?

Quick Reply