Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #251
mhot55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I already have towels and big puffy down-winter jacket wrapped around it- just to make sure it doesn't drop in temp. Looks like I will put it back on heating pads which is stuck onto a 12x12ceramic tile. Usually get my temp up 10-15*. Thanks

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #252
BenWillcox
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

This is my Consecration clone. I bottled it one month ago and added a half a vial of WL Brett C at bottling. For the first 2 weeks after bottling it had NO carbonation and is now sitting at light-ish (probably 1 1/2 volumes or so, I primed for 2.5)

I didn't use Roeselare blend on this. I pitched a clean abbey yeast, cold crashed and racked @ 1.016. I then added Brett L and B , and the oak and wine and let it go for 4 weeks, then added the currants (3 pounds), and the Lacto and pedio. It also got dregs from a couple of Jolly Pumpkins, Lindemans Cuvee Rene Gueuze, and monks café. I brewed it july 3rd.
I can honestly say it is definitely, by far, the sourest sour I have had. It is Marvelously sour. The night I was bottling I pulled myself a 6 or so ounce sample, put it in a tulip, and was sipping as I bottled. So my wife walks into the room and says "Is this a sample of what you are bottling?" "Yes", I say. She sniffs it: "That smells GOOD". Me: "taste if you like". Her: "Oh my god, this is GOOD!"...she then proceeded to abscond with my sample, and drink the whole thing. I took that as a vote of confidence.

img_3808.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #253
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 24

This is my infection so far with just the roeselar blend. I brewed this starting in December. I pitched the roes at the end of January beginning of February.

image-3405154958.jpg   image-3174557506.jpg  

Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #254
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn

I just added oak and got pretty close with my clone. Roeselare. I'll probably give it another try in the fall (I've got a ton of it that needs drinking... )
Pardon if this is answered later in the thread:

Where did you obtain the commercial consecration in Florida? I can only assume you either traded with a HBT member or have a source in a distribution state that mails it to you?

Is that a 12oz bottle in the photo?

Anecdotal rambling ....

Visited CA in 2008 I think it was and stopped at the RR brewpub after a morning of wine tasting. I didn't think I was intoxicated at all when I sat down for dinner (from the wine tasting). I ordered 3 beers. I've since forgotten the particular beer, one was Pliny I believe, and one was a regular strength IPA, and another was a sour beer, but was served in smaller portion. I think it was consecration. Split a pizza with my wife and had a salad. After we left the restaurant, we went o get a few sundries at Target somewhere and I am starting to stagger. I think later on that the Brett and bugs are fermenting stuff in my belly? I don't know but it seemed the effect on my body was out of proportion to the volume of beer (and wine) I had consumed that day...by a LONGSHOT. I take PPIs everyday for reflux, and that decreased the acidity in my stomach, possibly to the point that the Brett survives... Just a theory.

TD

Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #255
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3078 Times on 1936 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post

Where did you obtain the commercial consecration in Florida? I can only assume you either traded with a HBT member or have a source in a distribution state that mails it to you?

Is that a 12oz bottle in the photo?

Anecdotal rambling ....

Visited CA in 2008 I think it was and stopped at the RR brewpub after a morning of wine tasting. I didn't think I was intoxicated at all when I sat down for dinner (from the wine tasting). I ordered 3 beers. I've since forgotten the particular beer, one was Pliny I believe, and one was a regular strength IPA, and another was a sour beer, but was served in smaller portion. I think it was consecration. Split a pizza with my wife and had a salad. After we left the restaurant, we went o get a few sundries at Target somewhere and I am starting to stagger. I think later on that the Brett and bugs are fermenting stuff in my belly? I don't know but it seemed the effect on my body was out of proportion to the volume of beer (and wine) I had consumed that day...by a LONGSHOT. I take PPIs everyday for reflux, and that decreased the acidity in my stomach, possibly to the point that the Brett survives... Just a theory.

TD
12.68 oz (375ml). I bought them in Philly. RR distributes there and Denver and California.

I get to the RR pub in Santa Rosa every year or two. Love that place. They do have great pizza and entertainment.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #256
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Ok, read the whole thread.

Thanks for info on Denver, going there over summer vacation with the family!

Where did you get those bottles? The small champagne split bottles are the only 375ers I've been able to find. Maybe haven't been looking too hard eh?
I think for a 10% beer smaller bottles would be preferable. Are those bottles easy to cork? Standard Belgian cork or different?

One question I had while reading this is about the currants. Some dried fruits are preserved with sulfite or sulfur dioxides. Are those currants preservative free?
Sounds like folks have been dumping them in with the initial Brett addition with no preparation of the currants, just dump them in eh?

Last question to I think Jiffy? Where did you get a 15 gallon Cabernet barrel? Where can I get one?

Thanks. Really thinking about brewing this one. It's going into my "to brew" list..

Oh yeah, couple final questions.

What is the consensus on the Brett strain to use for initial pitch and at what temperature?
I've never used Brett or Bugs before. Do you just get a smack pack and pitch that or do you need a starter like with regular yeast?
Will I be able to get the Brett and bugs out of fermenter (and other equipment/hoses etc)with regular PBW soak and star San spray (will I need soak?)

TD
Edit- found bottles. Wow are they pricey! Think I'll stick with regular bottles. Was there a consensus on the carbonation level for this beer?

Edit 2- which "carafa" malt is being used for this? It seems there are like 6 different kinds

Edit 3- pitch rate for the Brett cultures? Somewhere in here I read 1million/ml. That's 37854 ml in a 10 gal brew, so 37 billion cells. What is the cell count on these Brett vials/smack packs? Is it the same as for regular yeasts? Also viability, is that the same as for yeast?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #257
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post

There are places to order it online, too. Liqour stores in Cali that ship.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #258
WeBrew2
Recipes 

What might be the effects of higher temps during the souring phase? I've made it through to the point of adding the bugs. I added roselaire (excuse the spelling, i'm on a mobile device) about 2 months ago, and i've just been waiting and being patient. We are going through a bit of a heat wave in california, and i've noticed my brew up around 80 degrees (the brewmometer on the side of the carboy is topped out, so it may be going higher too). I haven't had a chance to rig up a cooler/frozen bottle cooling apparatus, so i'm wondering....how sensative to temperature are the creatures in the roselaire mix (pedo and lacto I think?) and what should i be expecting or worried about after this heat passes? My starting gravity was a bit high 1.093 i think, but as of adding the roselaire it was tasting pretty good (maybe a bit boozy, but i'm not complaining about that). Im planning to not worry and just keep drinking my tripel through the heat, but curious as to how this may affect the beer.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #259
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I got a 2nd out of 14 with this kit at competition a couple months ago. It scored a 38/50, so not too shabby.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #260
hllywd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The yeast strain guide says 65°F - 85°F. I just brewed Northwest's Oud Bruin and pitched the dregs from a bottle of Consecration then 48 hours later a pack of Roselare I had. I let it go in the garage where the ambient temp was in the upper 80°s and the concoction smells amazing. The initial fermentation wasn't extremely active, but that's been the case every time I've used Roselare. The batch only started out around 1.042 so I didn't really expect it to blow up anyway. A bit off topic, but I'm considering adding some currants to this too.

As for my Consecration kit I'm about 10 months in and have been thinking about adding the oak sometime soon. I picked up an assortment of west coast brews while in San Diego recently including a few bottles of Consecration. I think once I get mine oaked, and carbed it's going to be reasonably close to the real thing. If that holds true I'm going to be happy!

Quick Reply