Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #221
mhot55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Didn't buy the "kit", but pretty much followed the recipe. After a week in primary & getting down to 1.016, I crash cooled and racked onto Zante currants with Brett L. Been going for a week. In another 6 weeks, I will pitch the roselaire. Apparently it seems that the oak should wait until desired sourness is reached because the cubes are pretty "raw" and oak extraction would be quick and possibly too high. I have my oak cubes soaking in Cabernet. By the time I pitch the rosealaire, they will be soaking for 3 months. What's the consensus of throwing the cubes in with the bugs? I figure the long term soaking will have leeched out any harsh tannins the oak would otherwise impart.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #222
Nesto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhot55 View Post
Didn't buy the "kit", but pretty much followed the recipe. After a week in primary & getting down to 1.016, I crash cooled and racked onto Zante currants with Brett L. Been going for a week. In another 6 weeks, I will pitch the roselaire. Apparently it seems that the oak should wait until desired sourness is reached because the cubes are pretty "raw" and oak extraction would be quick and possibly too high. I have my oak cubes soaking in Cabernet. By the time I pitch the rosealaire, they will be soaking for 3 months. What's the consensus of throwing the cubes in with the bugs? I figure the long term soaking will have leeched out any harsh tannins the oak would otherwise impart.
IMO, the kit was a nice package deal, but didn't give you anything "special." I think that Vinnie's oak cubes would not give much to the beer other than oak character - most of the "bug work" will be done by the pedio and lacto that is in the Roeselare. You'd have to do a bit of work to cultivate RRBC's wild yeasts and bugs from the oak in the kit, if it's even possible.

A few comments / suggestions...
Depending on which Brett L you used, you might not get much of the funky Brett character (more noticeable with Brett B) since your initial pitch was a single strain. But you will get two Brett strains from Roeselare, have never been able to confirm which two.

Suggest you do not throw the oak cubes in with the bugs. The bugs will take a few to several months to get your desired sourness and you probably don't want to leave the oak in the beer the entire time. Easier to add the oak once your beer has attenuated fully and has the sourness you want. You might find you will leave the oak in for as little as a week or two to get the oaking you want - it all depends on what kind of oak you are using. I think one of the biggest benefits to using RRBC's oak is that you don't pull much tannin.

Finally, suggest you take care with leaving your oak in wine for that long. I think you'll risk infection from undesirable organisms (yeah, I know, ironic in a brett, pedio, lacto fermentation). I've come to the conclusion that if you really want wine character, you should just add wine. That wine will be vinegar you'll be soaking the cubes in after a week or so. Some might argue with me, but even in sour brewing, I would suggest some type of sanitation for your oak - look up the microwaving in water method - before you add it to your beer.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #223
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks. Forgot to mention oak soaked in Cabernet is in vacuum sealed mason jar- but I will consider possible issues with infection/ vinegar. Didnt realize i would have been waiting 8-12 months before adding the cubes. i thought they went in with the roselaire. Also I wasn't overly concerned about only pitching one brett strain. The rosealaire may help with that, but I still get kind of leery when I hear "horse blanket" or "barnyard". But that's just me and I'm easing my way into it.

Oddly, though, in this particular thread everyone seems to stress the over-oaking that can be gotten if the cubes are left over 2 weeks. It seems that people are talking about cubes, not chips. A week or 2 seems to be the running theory for "Consecration" for cubes. But every other thread or article I've read (and my own experience) regarding using oak CUBES states that "oak" flavor/ tannin does not impart for a month, possibly 2, to get to a nice light- moderate level. For a darker complex brew like consecration I would think it would come across as light.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #224
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Oak to taste not to any specific time period. Add the oak... wait a few days and then start taking small samples every other day until it gets closer to the flavor you like. Oak flavor does fade with time too.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #225
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts

That's an important note to make mors - everyone is going to have a different opinion on how much oak to be adding, so oaking to taste is really the best option. Mhot55 - the reason most people are weary of leaving the oak from the Consecration kit in too long is because this is raw oak from actual consecration barrels (at least most of the surface area that will be in contact with your beer). The raw oak will impart those tannins / oak flavors faster than your standard oak cubes, so it will be important to check in on it sooner than you normally would. Hopefully this helps - cheers!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #226
hllywd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hllywd View Post
I assume it's too late for your brew day, but I did a second running. Got thinking about it during the process, and remembered I had some extra DME from making starter wort. Collected about 4 gallons from the spent grains, added just short of 3 lbs Briess DME, and boiled 1/2 oz of Kent Goldings I had for 60 minutes. I had a spare pack of Roeselare, and after 8 days it's settled down nicely. OG ended up at 1.057. Tried it yesterday to see what I had. It smells much more sour than what it is at thsi point, and it has a mild brett funk, and quite dry without measuring. I'm going to rack it onto a couple lbs of fruit, I was thinking peaches, and hide it away for a few months. Should be good next spring!
The second runnings have progressed super the sourness is about where I want it and I suspect it will continue to develop. I have about three gallons and it would be good on it's own, but I'm going to get 2 or 3 pounds of peaches and rack a couple gallons onto them. I'll bottle the rest to see how it turns out.

It may be time to sample the kit too, almost 5 months since brew day.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #227
wheidem1
Recipes 

First time sour. When am I to expect my pellicle? After the Brett? Roeselare? I have been in my secondary w/ Brett addition for about 4 weeks. Currants are floating on top with no pellicle yet. Is the lack of a pellicle a bad sign? I have my Roeselare addition in about 4 weeks then time.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:08 AM   #228
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I didn't have a pellicle on either of mine for about 6 months. Basically the pellicle won't form until you start to get some oxygen in the fermentor. My airlocks got alittle drier than they should have and bam pellicles. Don't worry if you don't get one.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #229
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts

wheidem1,

Good question on the pellicle. I didn't have a pellicle on mine until about 2.5-3 months in, so yours should be just fine. Could give it a quick smell as it might start having a sour / funky smell after a month, but again, Brett can take awhile to get going, so patience will be your best friend on this beer

Cheers!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #230
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 24

So I screwed up, after transferring to the secondary, I added my fruit and then the Roeselare blend. No Brett on its own. I thought the Roeselare blend had it all in it. It's been in the secondary for a month now.

Is it to late to add the Brett or should I forget it at this point?

Quick Reply