Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #211
wheidem1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

First time sour, and learned some valuable lessons. Attempting to make the Concecration (aquired a kit from More Beer). Seems there is quite a bit of chatter and experience with this kit on this blog so off with the questions.

1. Any recommendations when to rack to secondary? I was under the impression I would rack after a week to secondary. My OG was only 1.072. I brewed last Friday and have a fermentation chamber where I have been able to control the environment within +/- 1 degree. I started at 72 and let it go for 4 days, I then increased to 76 degrees as recomennded by MoreBeer.com. When checking my SG today, hoping to rack to seconday it is only 1.024 (should have made a starter- but ended up pitching 2 vials of 0530 - so I knew I would be short but was still hoping for a better outcome). Anyway, any recommendations? Keep going primary? Rack and roll the dice? From what I am picking up across this blog is most are racking in the teens. Thus, considering returninging it to my fermentation chamber and letting it go another week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #212
goirish04
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Just brewed my AG kit of this today. Hit 1.073 on the nose, and just pitched the yeast.

I'd recommend you rouse the yeast gently and give it another week. This is a beer that will take a long time, so it'd be best to start being patient now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheidem1 View Post
First time sour, and learned some valuable lessons. Attempting to make the Concecration (aquired a kit from More Beer). Seems there is quite a bit of chatter and experience with this kit on this blog so off with the questions.

1. Any recommendations when to rack to secondary? I was under the impression I would rack after a week to secondary. My OG was only 1.072. I brewed last Friday and have a fermentation chamber where I have been able to control the environment within +/- 1 degree. I started at 72 and let it go for 4 days, I then increased to 76 degrees as recomennded by MoreBeer.com. When checking my SG today, hoping to rack to seconday it is only 1.024 (should have made a starter- but ended up pitching 2 vials of 0530 - so I knew I would be short but was still hoping for a better outcome). Anyway, any recommendations? Keep going primary? Rack and roll the dice? From what I am picking up across this blog is most are racking in the teens. Thus, considering returninging it to my fermentation chamber and letting it go another week.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #213
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I brewed this today also. Hit 1.088, pitched 2 fails of Abby as I didn't have time to get a starter going. I can't wait to drink this in a year. The wort was perfect!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #214
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheidem1 View Post

You should wait until the Abbey yeast is finished. Never go based on time.

BJCP A0936 Certified Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
AHA Forums "dkfick"

Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #215
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mors

You should wait until the Abbey yeast is finished. Never go based on time.
I let the wlp530 get down to 1.020, cold crashed, racked to secondary and pitched the roeselare.

You're totally fine with letting the sacch finish, it just all depends on how sour you want it and what other dregs/bugs you're throwing in. The higher the gravity before pitching the bugs, the more sour it'll be.

If you're throwing Brett in before the roeselare, you'll probably want to leave something easy to eat before it has to compete with the lacto and pedio.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #216
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 96

yeah I still say let the yeast finish..because there is more to a yeast finishing than just getting the FG down. The yeast clean up many off flavors there at the end...

Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #217
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mors
yeah I still say let the yeast finish..because there is more to a yeast finishing than just getting the FG down. The yeast clean up many off flavors there at the end...
The Brett. Lacto and pedio will clean up any off flavors as well.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #218
wheidem1
Recipes 

Appreciate the pointers. Not doing adding a Roeselare, simply going 0530 to Brett in secondary. Am I missing a flavor profile here by not adding Roeselare? Following the morebeer.com kit.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #219
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheidem1
Appreciate the pointers. Not doing adding a Roeselare, simply going 0530 to Brett in secondary. Am I missing a flavor profile here by not adding Roeselare? Following the morebeer.com kit.
Without the lacto and pedio you're not going to get any real sourness. Your beer though, so if you're just looking for a Brett spiked beer with currants, go for it.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #220
wheidem1
Recipes 

Thanks guys! My bad - looks like I'm going to 1.016 then racking, adding currants and Brett, going 7-8 weeks and then the Roeselare. You were right! Thanks for your persistence I would have missed that step all together!

Cheers.

Quick Reply