*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #201
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 100

lol oh yeah derp. well the lid isn't screwed on that... that's why it has that thick meaty pellicle on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #202
QuaffableQuips
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I racked and added the oak and bacteria on Saturday. I had planned to take a gravity reading, but unfortunately the other kind of gravity pulled my hydrometer off the counter and onto the floor. The sample tasted great, though!

Two of the three oak chunks were a little too wide to fit through the neck of the carboy, so I had to saw them in half. So there will be a bit more surface area than originally planned.

Now, time to wait (again)....

Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #203
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice Noch,

Well, not nice about the death of yet another hydrometer, but glad it's tasting great! Just a quick head's up: The oak flavor and aroma will come through somewhat quickly on this one, since the chunk(s) are mainly raw oak. I'd recommend using a racking cane to very, very gently stir the beer, and taste a little bit after doing so every week starting in a few weeks. Our wine brand manager is under the impression that those oak chunks will impart oak very quickly, so aging for much longer than 2-3 months would be overkill. I'll be adding my oak chunks in to a barrel soon, but will probably only leave it in the barrel for 3-4 weeks after adding those oak chunks.

Has anybody else added the oak chunks to their Consecration yet? If so, how long ago, and how's it tasting so far?

Cheers!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #204
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Got my kits today. After reading his thread I feel confident that this will be a great kit.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #205
Nesto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post
Nice Noch,

Well, not nice about the death of yet another hydrometer, but glad it's tasting great! Just a quick head's up: The oak flavor and aroma will come through somewhat quickly on this one, since the chunk(s) are mainly raw oak. I'd recommend using a racking cane to very, very gently stir the beer, and taste a little bit after doing so every week starting in a few weeks. Our wine brand manager is under the impression that those oak chunks will impart oak very quickly, so aging for much longer than 2-3 months would be overkill. I'll be adding my oak chunks in to a barrel soon, but will probably only leave it in the barrel for 3-4 weeks after adding those oak chunks.

Has anybody else added the oak chunks to their Consecration yet? If so, how long ago, and how's it tasting so far?

Cheers!
I agree with your wine manager - I'd recommend starting to taste for the oak that you want after 2 weeks. Our very first tasting (at 2 weeks) after we added oak we already had enough oak character. I don't like over-oaked beer or wine, so we kegged after just the two weeks with oak. It might be that I'm just very sensitive to the oaky character, but we definitely could taste it clearly.

And just a note for 1st time oak users... if you are using carboys, make sure that the chunks fit easily through the neck of your carboy. Cut them in half or more if you need to. They will swell up and are very hard to get out once you are done! (From experience).

A question for all - has anyone else done any comparisons vs. Consecration? We have our beer fully carbonated in kegs and ready to bottle. If you read back, you will see we did Brett L and Brett B separately. So we had a tasting and blending session to see what we liked. Turned out 55/45 Brett L/Brett B is what we will do.

We also compared to Consecration. Have to say we didn't come very close. Consecration is substantially more sour, but has less what I'll call the barnyard funk flavors and the cherry notes we get from our Brett L don't seem very apparent in Consecration.

Frankly, I think I might like our beer better than Consecration (I know, crazy!); will have to taste a few more times and see. But any theories why so much less sour? This is our first sour brew, so we don't know a lot about how what goes on effects the end product.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #206
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesto View Post
I agree with your wine manager - I'd recommend starting to taste for the oak that you want after 2 weeks. Our very first tasting (at 2 weeks) after we added oak we already had enough oak character. I don't like over-oaked beer or wine, so we kegged after just the two weeks with oak. It might be that I'm just very sensitive to the oaky character, but we definitely could taste it clearly.

And just a note for 1st time oak users... if you are using carboys, make sure that the chunks fit easily through the neck of your carboy. Cut them in half or more if you need to. They will swell up and are very hard to get out once you are done! (From experience).

A question for all - has anyone else done any comparisons vs. Consecration? We have our beer fully carbonated in kegs and ready to bottle. If you read back, you will see we did Brett L and Brett B separately. So we had a tasting and blending session to see what we liked. Turned out 55/45 Brett L/Brett B is what we will do.

We also compared to Consecration. Have to say we didn't come very close. Consecration is substantially more sour, but has less what I'll call the barnyard funk flavors and the cherry notes we get from our Brett L don't seem very apparent in Consecration.

Frankly, I think I might like our beer better than Consecration (I know, crazy!); will have to taste a few more times and see. But any theories why so much less sour? This is our first sour brew, so we don't know a lot about how what goes on effects the end product.
I would venture to guess that you didn't age it nearly long enough if it is already kegged. I plan to age my kit 12-24 months (depending on taste).

Kegged: Galaxy IPA, Belgian Dubbel and Cherry Funk (Flanders Red + 10 lbs cherries)

Primary: Ned Flanders Red, RR Consecration on 2nd Gen Roeselare, Soured BDSA, Brett B ESB, Brett Trios Oatmeal Stout runnings.

Next: Oro de Calabaza Clone, Backwoods Bastard Clone, House IPA, House APA, German Hefe.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #207
Nesto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmich24

I would venture to guess that you didn't age it nearly long enough if it is already kegged. I plan to age my kit 12-24 months (depending on taste).
I'm sure you're right. It only had 4 months with the pedio/lacto, which I assume is the main sour difference. I was so happy with what we had at the time that I wasn't concerned with how close I got to Consecration.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #208
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here's my issue, I was about to make my starter and just found out that I have no dme to make my starter. Do I roll the dice and pitch the abby yeast or wait and make a starter?

Perfect day to brew tomorrow...

Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #209
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hate to rain on your parade, but I'd wait until I could make a starter. Know anyone you can bumb some DME off?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #210
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest22 View Post
Hate to rain on your parade, but I'd wait until I could make a starter. Know anyone you can bumb some DME off?
I knew the answer but was hoping for "Go For It!" I dont know anyone close enough tonight.

I was thinking that I I would go to the store first thing in the morning and make the starter while I brew. It should be good to go by tomorrow night.

Quick Reply