Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #191
Nesto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesto View Post
Dang, forgot about my idea to soak the oak in wine before adding... oh well. Just reporting on progress. After racking to carboys (one with Brett La, the other with Brett Br), let ferment for 8 weeks and added Roeselare to each. We let it just go with whatever temp it was - have ranged from high 80s down to a low of 55 in the evening for the last couple weeks.

So now it's been 11 weeks since adding Roeselare, 19 weeks since adding Brett, 21 weeks since brew day. We hit SG of 1.006 for the Brett Br and 1.009 for the Brett La this past weekend, so we added the oak. The current beer, despite no carbonation, is absolutely delicious. We used the WY5526 Lambicus and the WLP650 Bruxellensis. Getting sour cherry from the Lambicus, a little more barnyard funk from the Bruxellensis.

Questions: Is anyone done with oaking yet? How long did it take? Any predictions?
Left oak in for 2 weeks and was getting enough oak character for us and we didn't want to over-oak, so we kegged both beers today. In a week or 2, we will blend and then bottle (counter-pressure filler). Brett La was down to 1.008, Brett Br still at 1.006.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #192
hllywd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well I drew a sample at almost 10 weeks, a small, late, 50th birthday gift to myself. Started @ 1.073, and it's 1.002 today. Currants are still floating, and I still get a bubble through the airlock every few minutes. There is no mistaking this is a boozy brew, but even now it's fairly balanced and the alcohol doesn't overpower. A hint of malty, dried fruity sweetness remains. Some astringency, and the tartness that has developed makes it very red wine like. I'll wait till after the first of the year to oak it, but for a first stab at using bugs to make a sour, this tastes damn fine!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #193
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Glad you're enjoying it thus far hllywd! My roommate/co-worker and I just sampled ours not too long ago, and it's definitely getting there. We've had 14 gallons sitting in a 15 gallon barrel (our old Cabernet barrel) for around 6 months now. We're going to be doing one more currant addition this weekend, then another month or two prior to adding in the consecration oak chunks. Might let two chunks sit in there for a couple of weeks, then bottle it up! Has anyone started kegging or bottling your Consecration yet? Has anyone brewed the Tart of Darkness Sour Stout yet!?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #194
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper
Glad you're enjoying it thus far hllywd! My roommate/co-worker and I just sampled ours not too long ago, and it's definitely getting there. We've had 14 gallons sitting in a 15 gallon barrel (our old Cabernet barrel) for around 6 months now. We're going to be doing one more currant addition this weekend, then another month or two prior to adding in the consecration oak chunks. Might let two chunks sit in there for a couple of weeks, then bottle it up! Has anyone started kegging or bottling your Consecration yet? Has anyone brewed the Tart of Darkness Sour Stout yet!?
I just bought the consecration and tart of darkness kit last night can't wait!

Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #195
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Well here is my 10 gallons I brewed 7/24/2012. Left one has store bought zante currants and will get oak cubes soaked in 'Robert Mondavi Private Selection Cabernet'. Right one has Morebeer currants and will get the Consecration oak. Small jar is alittle left over I had out of primary... Threw a few drops of the Brett and roeselare blend in there as well...

forumrunner_20121202_105928.jpg  

BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
AHA Forums "dkfick"

Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #196
BK1017
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Anyone experience any off flavors from the Roselare yeast? I sampled my brew last night and got a distinctly band-aid / solvent flavor. I really focus on cleanliness during my brew days, so I'm not quite sure where that flavor is coming from. My consecration batch is about 4 months old total, with the roselare yeast working for last 3 months.

Thanks - BK

Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #197
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Sometimes the intermediate flavors between clean and soured beer are unpleasant. Give it time, it should come around.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #198
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mors View Post
Well here is my 10 gallons I brewed 7/24/2012. Left one has store bought zante currants and will get oak cubes soaked in 'Robert Mondavi Private Selection Cabernet'. Right one has Morebeer currants and will get the Consecration oak. Small jar is alittle left over I had out of primary... Threw a few drops of the Brett and roeselare blend in there as well...
Watch out for explosions with that glass jar...

Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #199
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenghali View Post

Watch out for explosions with that glass jar...
Well it's at about 5 months now. Most the fermentation is complete and there is an airlock on each so I'm not really worried about them exploding.

BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
AHA Forums "dkfick"

Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #200
BenWillcox
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

No dude, he meant the lided Mason Jar next to your carboys.

Quick Reply