The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #181
BenWillcox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Yeah all my Dried Zante Currants floated for about a month and then they began to slowly start sinking. I no longer have any floaters (I added the currants around July 15th or so) and haven't for most of this month. I also have not even the remotest sign of a pellicle and I am just over 5.5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy (so lots of headspace, more than I would like actually). my gravity is also 1.004.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #182
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Hmm I made 2 batches... both batches have had the dried zante currants floating for 3 months.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #183
BenWillcox
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

On the plus side mine tastes great. Not very complex but it is only 4-ish months old.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #184
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine is two months old now and last night I pitched consecration dregs into it.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #185
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolee86 View Post
Here is the grain bill...
11 pounds rahr 2 row
8oz acidulated malt
4oz special b
4 oz carafa
Adjuncts..
1lb dark Belgian syrup
1lb corn sugar
Hops...
.5 oz styrian goldings. Bitter hop
1oz sterling flavor
1 oz sterling. Aroma

Whirlfloc..
Mash at 158-159
Og 1.073-77
Est Srm 28
Est Ibu 19
I didnt get the kit, but did basically this exact recipe and pitched ECY01 Bugfarm 6. I did a little more dark candy and a little less sugar bc I didnt want to have extra dark candy. It was a 4 gallon batch.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #186
hllywd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm at about 7 weeks since brew day. My gravity progressed very rapidly to 1.010, and I made a starter with the Roeselare, and currants overnight before racking the beer into it. This is what it looks like today:

I drew a sample, but did not test the gravity since my graduated cylinder is MIA... I didn't expect it to be quite as dry as it is, but even now it is distinctly sour, and maybe not as funky as I expected. I did a second running from the spent grain, and topped the gravity up to about 1.057 with some DME I had left over from canning starter wort, and pitched a Roeselare in it too. It's funny that batch seems to have a bit more body, and may not be quite as sour yet, but has more brett character. Both are still bubbling every minute or so, and I'd consider both to be drinkable as they are, the second running especially.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #187
Nesto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesto View Post
Me and brewing buddy just racked 2 kits into carboys for secondary. Thought I'd pass along a few notes and ask a question:
1. Looks like kits are still available
2. Consider NOT using Roeselare for the initial secondary. Only reporting on research here, not results, but Vinnie lets his brett blend (with no pedio or lacto) work for 7-8 weeks before pitching a brett/pedio/lacto blend (so use Roeselare after 7-8 week in secondary). Apparently the pedio and lacto can make the beer inhospitable for the brett (lowering pH), so he likes to give the brett a head start and pitch the bugs later.
3. What brett to use for initial secondary? We thought about making our own brett blend, but finally decided to use brett lam for one 5 gal batch and brett brux for the other. We'll blend at the end of it all.
4. Brett is very heat tolerant... I've read and been told varying temperature profiles for secondary. Finally decided not to worry about it. Brett lives and works pretty well up to 89F - just going to let it go where it wants to go.

So the question is a few months away, but is anyone considering soaking the oak chunks in cabernet before adding?
Dang, forgot about my idea to soak the oak in wine before adding... oh well. Just reporting on progress. After racking to carboys (one with Brett La, the other with Brett Br), let ferment for 8 weeks and added Roeselare to each. We let it just go with whatever temp it was - have ranged from high 80s down to a low of 55 in the evening for the last couple weeks.

So now it's been 11 weeks since adding Roeselare, 19 weeks since adding Brett, 21 weeks since brew day. We hit SG of 1.006 for the Brett Br and 1.009 for the Brett La this past weekend, so we added the oak. The current beer, despite no carbonation, is absolutely delicious. We used the WY5526 Lambicus and the WLP650 Bruxellensis. Getting sour cherry from the Lambicus, a little more barnyard funk from the Bruxellensis.

Questions: Is anyone done with oaking yet? How long did it take? Any predictions?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #188
av8er79
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Going to brew my all grain batch tomorrow. I have a few questions.

- The recipe seems to put the dark belgian candi syrup in with the mash. I have added this during the boil in the past?
- I plan on Mashing in with 4.5 gallons and batch sparging with 4.5 gallons. If my math is correct I will end up with right around 5 gallons in the fermenter?
- When I was plugging in Brew Smith I would not find Rahr 2-Row?
- When I pitch the Brett do I pitch the whole Wyeast pack?

Thanks

Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #189
rumham
Recipes 

I've seen some recipes calling for a 90 min. boil and others for a 60; I'm planning on brewing the extract version; is there any reason to go with a 90 min. boil if the numbers seem to work out for a 60?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #190
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumham View Post
I've seen some recipes calling for a 90 min. boil and others for a 60; I'm planning on brewing the extract version; is there any reason to go with a 90 min. boil if the numbers seem to work out for a 60?
I only did a 60 min boil. I don't really see the need for a 90 min boil without using pilsner malt or needing to concentrate the wort down some.

Quick Reply