Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #171
jamest22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you guys racking (tertiary) off the currants before pitching the lacto & pedio for extended aging?

Based on the Vinnie quote floating around, it sounds like they add the currants to the barrels. In that case I guess Russian River leaves the beer on the currants in the barrels for the entire aging and souring process.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #172
CarlE
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I pitched the bugs directly into secondary; I did not rack off of the currants. As you said, it seems that Russian River does it this way in their barrels.

-Carl

Old 10-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #173
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After sitting for a month with the brett and currants gravity is at 1.009. I pitched the lacto and pedio last night.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #174
cardinalsfan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This kit is available at MoreBeer again for anyone interested. I'd love to get it but I don't have that kind of cash at the moment. Maybe next time it comes into stock.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #175
av8er79
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just happened to stumble across this thread today. I drank a Gueuze Lambic Cuvee Rene last night and decided to brew a sour beer. Lucky 4 me its in stock. ordered!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #176
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Today I made a small starter and plunked half of the oak they sent with the kit into it. I am hoping some of the resident critters in the wood are still alive and can colonize the starter. If not, I have an Irish Red that I soured with the dregs from a bottle of Lindemans Cuvee Rene. Should save me the price of a smack pack of bugs.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #177
QuaffableQuips
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I'm planning to soak the oak chunks in a small amount of cabernet for a few weeks prior to adding them to the beer. I was thinking of either using the mason jar attachment on my FoodSaver or giving the jar a short blast of CO2 to discourage oxidation of the wine during the soaking period.

Anyone see a problem with this? My understanding is that souring bugs are anaerobic, but I'm no microbiologist, and if there are any viable bugs in the Russian River chunks (seems doubtful, but who knows?), I don't want to discourage their growth. I'm new to sours, so any advice would be more than appreciated!

I pitched Brett L. and added the currants about 10 days ago, so I'm targeting early to mid December for adding the lacto and pedio. I'll probably add the oak at the same time. And then comes the long period of waiting...

Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #178
banik
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up getting some individually quick frozen black currants to use instead of the dried, and now they're all floating in my carboys. I made a double batch, split it, and pitched two different East Coast Yeast blends, so now I'm a bit worried about the floating fruit interfering with pellicle formation. Anybody have any ideas about this?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #179
mors
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by banik View Post
I ended up getting some individually quick frozen black currants to use instead of the dried, and now they're all floating in my carboys. I made a double batch, split it, and pitched two different East Coast Yeast blends, so now I'm a bit worried about the floating fruit interfering with pellicle formation. Anybody have any ideas about this?
The dry fruit floats as well. Don't worry about it.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #180
BoomerHarley
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by banik View Post
It will be fine. But the black currants are not the same as what RR uses. They use Zante currants, which are really just small raisins.

Quick Reply