The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #151
badlee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 14

what kind of weight are you looking at with the currants?
Looks way cool by the way

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #152
gregoreckbrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The kit came with 2lbs of currants.

The renewed fermentation from the currants and the Wyeast Roeselare yeast I added is pretty vigorous for a beer that had already fermented for 2 weeks in the primary. I am using a 5gallon carboy for a 5gallon batch, and I cautiously left behind a little less than half a gallon. After seeing the level of krausen, I think I made the right call.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #153
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm brewing up a MoreBeer Consecration kit today. All the info shared on this thread is great. I'll post results... next year.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #154
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is there any reason to attempt to sanitize the currants? If so, what would be the best method?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #155
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 92

no there is no reason to.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #156
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Just ordered this kit. I think I might do something like add the oak during primary, just to let the bugs that have survived in the chunks get some sort of hold. Maybe half the oak in primary and then the other half in secondary with the fruit...

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #157
hllywd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I can't give you any final results, but I brewed the all-grain kit a week ago, hit the projected OG spot on at 1.073, everything worked out as expected. With a good sized Abbey Ale II starter I was at 1.010 in three days @ 72° in the fermenter. Overnight I made another starter with 1 Qt of my pre-canned starter wort, the dried currants, and a pack of Roeselare. After about 12 hours when that was going strong I racked the ale over onto the currant starter mix. I'm at 8 days today at about 74°F, and the activity is slowing. I couldn't help but draw off a sample and honestly this is a good beer already. I didn't pull enough off to take a gravity reading, but it's pretty dry right now, and already has a mild, funky lactic twang.

This is the first time I've used Wyeast's Roeselare, but I really like the flavor profiles so far. I just hope I'm patient enough to allow it to fully develop. I think this is a kit I'll have to brew again after the first of the year. Although we can't get the real thing here, this may be the beer that I can tell my wife I'm saving money on by brewing my own!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #158
hllywd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuel View Post
FINALLY doing my kit today (got it un-milled so i could take my time...).

I was thinking of, after sparging the consecration wort, tossing in another few lbs of 2-row and doing a second running.

Any suggestions as to style and/or recipe? I'm thinking maybe some sort of dubbel with some more WLP530?

Edit: Just realized that I also have some washed 2112 and a packet or two of notty laying around...
I assume it's too late for your brew day, but I did a second running. Got thinking about it during the process, and remembered I had some extra DME from making starter wort. Collected about 4 gallons from the spent grains, added just short of 3 lbs Briess DME, and boiled 1/2 oz of Kent Goldings I had for 60 minutes. I had a spare pack of Roeselare, and after 8 days it's settled down nicely. OG ended up at 1.057. Tried it yesterday to see what I had. It smells much more sour than what it is at thsi point, and it has a mild brett funk, and quite dry without measuring. I'm going to rack it onto a couple lbs of fruit, I was thinking peaches, and hide it away for a few months. Should be good next spring!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #159
QuaffableQuips
G'suffa!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I'm finally going to get around to brewing this on Sunday (it was too hot to brew over the summer), and I have a WLP530 starter going on the stir plate right now. Question for those of you who know more about sour beers than I (which is, to say, pretty much each of you)...

The suggested procedure is to rack to secondary after Saccharomyces gets the gravity down to 1.016-ish and then pitch the Brett and add currants in secondary. Is there any reason not to simply add the currants and Brett to the primary once the Saccharomyces has taken it to 1.016-ish, or is it important to leave the bulk of the primary yeast behind before adding Brett? I'd like to avoid a transfer if possible.

If it matters, I most definitely intend to rack to another vessel when it's time to add the oak and bacteria.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #160
BenWillcox
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NochEineMassBitte View Post
I'm finally going to get around to brewing this on Sunday (it was too hot to brew over the summer), and I have a WLP530 starter going on the stir plate right now. Question for those of you who know more about sour beers than I (which is, to say, pretty much each of you)...

The suggested procedure is to rack to secondary after Saccharomyces gets the gravity down to 1.016-ish and then pitch the Brett and add currants in secondary. Is there any reason not to simply add the currants and Brett to the primary once the Saccharomyces has taken it to 1.016-ish, or is it important to leave the bulk of the primary yeast behind before adding Brett? I'd like to avoid a transfer if possible.

If it matters, I most definitely intend to rack to another vessel when it's time to add the oak and bacteria.
For what its worth I didn't brew the kit but brewed a clone with an almost identical grain bill and hop schedule. When I did it I primaried with the abbey yeast and then when the beer hit 1.016 I cold crashed it for 72 hours. I then racked to secondary and added 8 oz starters of both brett L and Brett B as well as my 1 ounce of oak chips that had been soaking in 12 ounces of Cab for a month (the cab went in too). I did this on the logic that russian river cold crashes and then centrifuges consecration to get all the Sacch out of the beer, and then adds in the brett giving it a couple of weeks to get started before they add the bacteria.
I didn't particularly want to use campden tabs on my beer so I figured cold crashing, racking to a secondary and then adding a load of health, hungry new brett would lead to a similar state of affairs. I also let the beer sit, with the brett only, in secondary for almost a month before I added pure cultures of Lacto, Pedio, and 3 pounds of Currants. On last tasting it was coming along nicely. (its about 4 months old)

Quick Reply