Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #131
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlE View Post
A buddy and I brewed 2 batches this week and will be racking to secondary in a few days. I've got a question about pitching the Brett. Since Brett needs oxygen to reproduce, should I aerate in the secondary prior to pitching, or is adding oxygen at this stage going to introduce off-flavors like it would in other beers that aren't getting fresh yeast in secondary? Seems like no oxygen isn't going to let the Brett reproduce (bad), but I suppose it's possible to add too much (also bad)? Also, thoughts on making a Brett starter before pitching to secondary?
Brett doesn't need O2. Stressing the yeast (anaerobic reproduction) is what creates the traditional Brett flavors.

If you add Oxygen, the Brett will produce fruity flavors instead, and as you have pointed out, will probably stale the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #132
CarlE
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys! Sounds like I'll be letting the primary finish out (at 1.030 right now and still bubbling away) and treat the secondary like any other beer and be careful not to splash. Pretty excited for this one!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #133
dirtybear7
Recipes 

Hi everyone,
Any thoughts on doing the primary with Wyeast 3789-PC Trappist Blend.
They describe it as "Profile: A unique blend of Belgian Saccharomyces and Brettanomyces for emulating Trappist style beer from the Florenville region in Belgium. Phenolics, mild fruitiness and complex spicy notes develop with increased fermentation temperatures. Subdued but classic Brett character."

I've used it in the past for an Orval clone with great success. I'm thinking about doing the primary with it, using Brett. L when I add the currants, then Roeselare after that as suggested. Any reasons not to use the Sac/Brett B. blend for Primary?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #134
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Only reason I wouldn't suggest that strain is because it's not what Vinnie uses. That being said - that strain sounds like it could be a pretty good one, and might make your clone recipe a little more unique in what could be a very good way. In the end it's going to be completely up to you. You could always brew two batches, or split the batch and see if there's a difference!?

Cheers!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #135
dirtybear7
Recipes 

I guess I have to decided if I'm stressed about trying to get close to what RR makes. I know that isn't happening even if I follow the instructions to a T. Too many variables in a sour for that. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #136
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah - in the end what is included in the kit is what Vinnie uses to make his Consecration. He also uses used 60 gallon barrels in an environment that he's been brewing in for years in a particular humidity and temperature. He blends, brews on a much larger system...the list goes on and on. Even different batches of Consecration vary in flavor, aroma, and sour levels (earlier batches being much more sour, as the bugs have had a longer time to eat the sugars). This kit will produce an amazing sour beer very similar to Consecration, but will not produce an identical product, so thank you for recognizing this!

Cheers!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #137
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybear7 View Post
Hi everyone,
Any thoughts on doing the primary with Wyeast 3789-PC Trappist Blend.
They describe it as "Profile: A unique blend of Belgian Saccharomyces and Brettanomyces for emulating Trappist style beer from the Florenville region in Belgium. Phenolics, mild fruitiness and complex spicy notes develop with increased fermentation temperatures. Subdued but classic Brett character."

I've used it in the past for an Orval clone with great success. I'm thinking about doing the primary with it, using Brett. L when I add the currants, then Roeselare after that as suggested. Any reasons not to use the Sac/Brett B. blend for Primary?
This does, in fact, make an EXCELLENT Orval-type beer. But if you're pairing it with Roeselare, I think you'll be just fine for this type of beer.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 07-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #138
dirtybear7
Recipes 

I'm going with the Trappist blend. I guess I'll report back in a year.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #139
fildogg
Recipes 

Any suggestions, pros/cons on how long to boil the malt for this one? Might make a difference in the final carmelization/color.

For the pliny clone, the instructions mentioned 90min boil starting with hops, 60 min with malts, saving the 1lb corn sugar for 10min. However, with this kit there are no specifications/suggestions.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #140
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 105

The kit has a 90 min boil for the bittering hops. So I did a 90 min boil.

Quick Reply