New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #121
Jipper
Vendor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice idea Nesto - soaking in cab would help to reduce any chance of harsh oak extraction (the chunks are almost all raw oak with only a little portion having come in contact with liquid before). It'd also add that little "winey" flavor that Consecration tends to have. Probably not much, but definitely couldn't hurt! That's also a good point on the Roselare, as it is very true that the pedio and lacto will lower the pH slowly stunting the brett until it is no longer active, so wait to pitch the bugs. I pitched a vial of Brett B and Brett L in mine as well, but we have 12 gallons in a barrel right now so wasn't able to separate them out for the brett ferment. Ours is sitting in the laundry room and fluctuates between 67-80F, but a little warmer or colder wouldn't hurt (very temperature tolerable as you had mentioned).

Great idea again on the soaking oak in cabernet before adding. If there are indeed live bugs on the oak that might also give them the chance to begin a colony, so maybe try using a lower alcohol cab (if you can find one) to give them a better chance of survival. Although, I'm not certain how they'll react, so soaking them is completely up to the brewer's discretion. Cheers!

Matt Monroe
MoreBeer!
Digital Marketing Manager
www.morebeer.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #122
Jipper
Vendor
Recipes 

Also - if anybody has any questions on the IBU's of this kit please PM me or email our customer service department at info@moreflavor.com. There was some discussion on it being "overhopped", and depending on your own personal setup at home, hop utilizations will vary. We provide enough hops to get people to the appropriate amount of IBUs no matter what their setup, but some people brew in keggles, some people have kettles, some people do partial boils, some people brew 5 gallons in a 15 gallon kettle, others use an 8 gallon kettle, some people have a raging boil, others have a calmer boil, etc. Hop utilization is to hops as mash efficiency is to grains - everyone will see a slightly different number. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me - we want everyone to be able to produce the best beer possible! On this note, if you don't have BeerSmith2 I would suggest investing in it - you can customize your kettle size, boil off %, etc so that you can hone in your recipes to be even more exact.

Cheers!

Matt Monroe
MoreBeer!
www.morebeer.com

Old 07-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #123
JonHopstein
Recipes 

I just brewed a batch up yesterday and am planning to add Brett to the first secondary. Was hoping that the sacred oak chunks would provide the proprietary Russian River blend of bugs when I add that down the road. I had thought about trying an oak starter to see if I can coax some of those bugs out of hibernation. If anyone has harvested bugs from the consecration oak chunks, it would be great to hear about your results.

Cheers!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #124
Jipper
Vendor
Recipes 

Yeah I'm really uncertain if those oak chunks will provide bugs or not, but it certainly would be cool to hear if anybody has tried, and what your technique was (if successful of course..)!

Cheers!

Matt Monroe
MoreBeer!
www.morebeer.com

Old 07-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #125
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesto View Post
2. Consider NOT using Roeselare for the initial secondary. Only reporting on research here, not results, but Vinnie lets his brett blend (with no pedio or lacto) work for 7-8 weeks before pitching a brett/pedio/lacto blend (so use Roeselare after 7-8 week in secondary). Apparently the pedio and lacto can make the beer inhospitable for the brett (lowering pH), so he likes to give the brett a head start and pitch the bugs later.
Hmmm... already pitched the Roeselare a few days ago (no visible activity of any real sort yet). I have a pack of Brett Brux I don't have a use for. Any real drawback to adding this in? I'm thinking it might help with the race for the food before the pH drops too low.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 07-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #126
Jipper
Vendor
Recipes 

Hey mmonacel,

Yeah I would recommend pitching that Brett B so there is more brett in there eating away at the residual sugar prior to letting the pedio and lacto have more than their fair share. Out of curiosity - what do you all think of adding a little 5.2 stabilizer if people have already pitched the pedio/lacto without giving the brett a head start? That would keep the pH at an acceptable level for the brett, or would it have negative effects on the beer if used in secondary?

Matt Monroe
MoreBeer!
www.morebeer.com

Old 07-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #127
timuel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

FINALLY doing my kit today (got it un-milled so i could take my time...).

I was thinking of, after sparging the consecration wort, tossing in another few lbs of 2-row and doing a second running.

Any suggestions as to style and/or recipe? I'm thinking maybe some sort of dubbel with some more WLP530?

Edit: Just realized that I also have some washed 2112 and a packet or two of notty laying around...

Old 07-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #128
CarlE
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

A buddy and I brewed 2 batches this week and will be racking to secondary in a few days. I've got a question about pitching the Brett. Since Brett needs oxygen to reproduce, should I aerate in the secondary prior to pitching, or is adding oxygen at this stage going to introduce off-flavors like it would in other beers that aren't getting fresh yeast in secondary? Seems like no oxygen isn't going to let the Brett reproduce (bad), but I suppose it's possible to add too much (also bad)? Also, thoughts on making a Brett starter before pitching to secondary?

Another related question more out of curiosity--for those of you who let the Abbey Yeast finish out in primary, what was your FG? Wondering the difference between monitoring and cold crashing at 1.016 like Vinnie suggests or just letting the primary run its course and stop on its own. I'd imagine 2 pounds of currants adds plenty of food for the Brett in secondary...

Thanks guys!
-Carl

Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #129
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

It's the barrels...The kit is a gimmick. If you don't have the same variables you won't get a like beer. The only way to clone a beer is by using the same variables. Those serious about brewing sours like Russian River does should contact wineries and local garden centers...The stuff people chop into half barrels might be more suitable for making sour beers than planters.

Good luck...find the barrels and go with a barrel process. Home brewers can pool ingredients and fill a barrel and get good results...I know I've tried some club barrel beers that were pretty darn good. Using actual pieces from a Russian River barrel is just a sales gimmick...Vinnie is no bozo...he wouldn't be retiring the barrels if he didn't want to use them...

So don't be fooled by the godly gimmick of "actual brewery barrel shards"

Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #130
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlE View Post
for those of you who let the Abbey Yeast finish out in primary, what was your FG?
I ended up at 16 after a full fermentation which is 78% attenuation - pretty standard for that yeast.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Quick Reply