New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
leolee86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Consecration kit from MoreBeer

They have a kit for this beer up, and are saying the oak pieces are from actual barrels from the brewery, does anyone have any experience on this clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 146

They claim that they just got it in April, when they paid a visit to RR. They did a 4 part interview with the owner. Interviewer was lousy, but the owner came across as super nice, informative, and regular guy. Check it out on youtube.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
igotsand
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 8

[QUOTE="CBXBob"]They claim that they just got it in April, when they paid a visit to RR. They did a 4 part interview with the owner. Interviewer was lousy, but the owner came across as super nice, informative, and regular guy. Check it out on youtube.

+1
Just watched them...
The interviewer was playing pocket pool the whole time...lol
The sour part was really informative..

Thinking about gettin this kit for my bday present to myself...X3 tho...
I've got extra carboys just hanging around....
Igotsand

Old 06-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
leolee86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I broke down and ordered a 2 of em...they got me with the "limited availability" line ..well it also helped convince the wife to let me spend 100 and something dollars on beer kits

Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you have access to Russian River sours, you can use the dregs from the bottles to add to secondary to get similar results. You don't really need the chunk of barrel. Fermenting the batch with Wyeast Roselare blend will get you close too - I think passedpawn used it recently and had good luck.

The hard part is finding dried black currants - there's 1 website that carries them but they are a bit pricey to buy (FYI - Zante currants that you find in the supermarket are not black currants, they are raisins).

I started a Consecration clone a few weeks ago starting with a slightly scaled down version of Jamil's Dark Strong ale, fermented with ECY Trappist ale yeast and added RR dregs along with some Roselare bug cake from a Flanders red brew and some wine soaked oak cubes. So far so good, but it'll take a while for the Brett and bugs to chew through everything.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
digitalhifi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I really want to make this kit, but it seems to be sold out. I guess I missed the train. Does anybody feel kind enough to share the grain bill with me, so I can try on my own?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Jipper
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Consecration Clone!

Hey All,

Just wanted to share with everyone on HBT that MoreBeer! is now offering a Russian River Consecration ingredient kit that was provided to us from Vinnie. It's currently out of stock, but we'll be getting more available shortly!

Anybody that has had Consecration before can tell you that it's one awesome sour beer - so try to get one of these kits while they last...

Extract Consecration

All-Grain Consecration

Cheers!

Matt Monroe
MoreBeer!
Digital Marketing Manager
www.morebeer.com

Last edited by Yuri_Rage; 06-11-2012 at 05:40 AM. Reason: thread merged - guess somebody here noticed before you had a chance to make an announcement!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2652 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post
Hey All,

Just wanted to share with everyone on HBT that MoreBeer! is now offering a Russian River Consecration ingredient kit that was provided to us from Vinnie. It's currently out of stock, but we'll be getting more available shortly!

Anybody that has had Consecration before can tell you that it's one awesome sour beer - so try to get one of these kits while they last...

Extract Consecration

All-Grain Consecration

Cheers!
Your recipe says black currants, but vinnie uses zante currants, which are a different animal. Zante currants are from grapes, like raisins.

[edit] sorry, I should also say EXCELLENT! I love consecration. I've got the original and several clones of my own on the shelf right now. Thanks for providing this kit for our homebrewers.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
Jipper
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey passedpawn -

Thanks for the response! I'm not sure where this information was provided, but on the Russian River Brewing Co. website, he'll state that they use black currants. To checkout their description of the beer, click on the link below.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/consecration/

Matt Monroe
MoreBeer!
Digital Marketing Manager
www.morebeer.com

Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2652 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post
Hey passedpawn -

Thanks for the response! I'm not sure where this information was provided, but on the Russian River Brewing Co. website, he'll state that they use black currants. To checkout their description of the beer, click on the link below.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/consecration/
From an email from Vinnie to me:
"We actually [use] Zante currants. It is probably the barrels that is giving the rich flavor."
But, if you are providing the currants, they are probably zante anyway. Black currants are VERY hard to source in this country due to an unfortunate ban a long time ago. They are not banned any longer, so if anyone is looking for them www.currantc.com is one of the few places.

Quick Reply