Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > color change after bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #51
MrBlackjaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I attach my wand to the spigot on the bottling bucket. I always rinse it, then soak it in Oxi after each use. Before I use it again, it goes in the sanitizing bucket for at least 15 minutes (only because I am doing other things).

Like I said, my follow up bottling session of my Belgian Blonde did not produce the same results. The difference is that I had just made a fresh batch of StarSan for it. Wait, a vanilla oak porter was in between, but obviously I won't see a color change on that.

It should be noted that I do not taste any off flavors in my White IPA, it just looks weird. Although, I am not a certified tasting expert in anyway, so maybe I am missing it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #52
hopdoc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It seems that everyone that has experienced this phenomenon has active lactobacillus or brettanomyces, right?

I have brewed a bunch of Berliner weisse and always boil (which kills the lactobacillus) after a sour mash, and have never had this "purple taint". This makes me think that is is the active sour yeasts that are causes the darkening and off flavors.

Where is everyone sourcing their sour yeast? White labs? Home made starter? Spontaneous fermentation? Has anyone done a sour mash, then boiled and experienced purple taint?

One of my brews accidentally caught a wild yeast, and it darkened dramatically (3 srm to maybe 8 srm), and has held on to its chill haze (yeast haze, whatever). The flavor is not metallic, but it did dull the hop flavors, ended up somewhat fruity, dull. This might be similar to what you all have described as purple taint...

I am sure that all of our techniques are wildly different, the only definite similarities come from the use of sour yeasts....

Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #53
JoeMomma85
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mine wasn't hit with Brett or lacto although I can't fully rule out a Brett infection without having it tested/inspected but it's gone now. Didn't remind me of Brett.though and only one of the two batches I split to dryhop got it.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #54
killsurfcity
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

me posting in this thread is probably muddying the waters for OP a bit, but my other thread didn't get as much action.

fwiw, this is what i've always thought. the two beers we had go off both had brett/lacto/pedio. it seems to be unique to them. none of the many other beers i've done has seen this issue. our bugs are dregs blends i grew up. they've performed really well in other beers, and in this case the barrel beer was fine, just the racked off portions went bad. odd.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #55
ShawDeuce22
Recipes 

*****Reporting back with some findings*****

I bottled 12 - 12oz, 6 - 22oz, and 2 - 750mL swingtops (Hill Farmstead growlers)
12oz bottles - Darkest of all of the beers, no off flavor.
22oz bottles - Same color as the original post (on page 1, picture taken from a 22oz), no off flavor
750mL STs - roughly the same color as the gravity reading sample but still darker, no off flavor
(wish I had pictures, but maybe I can work on that...stay tuned)

Bottling procedure: (start with cleaned bottles) Rinse with hot water twice, fill bottling bucket with room temp StarSan, fill bottles with santized solution, dump back into bucket. The only thing that I can see with my particular case is some form of reaction with the StarSan and the WLP644 Brett Brux Trois. I'm brewing another batch of this same beer this weekend with some different hops. I will try my best to keep this thread up to date with how it goes.

EDIT: For those asking - ZERO Lacto was used in this beer, it was 100% WLP 644 primary.

Primary : NADA

Secondary 1 : Lambic (3F dregs)
Secondary 2 : Brett'd w/ Peaches
Secondary 3 : NADA

Bottled : English Barleywine, Saison, Roasty Nuts Xmas Ale, RIS, Ancient Mead, Brett 3 IPA

Drinking : Brett 3 IPA (maybe in 2 weeks)

Test Batches: d'Bilder, Roasty Brett Nuts, Spontanteous Citra Pale

Old 04-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #56
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 273

there is a potential flaw in the argument that the color isn't due to oxidation because the beer doesn't taste oxidized. the amount of O2 required to react with something in the beer (say, metals or some other chemical) could be a lot lower than the taste threshold.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #57
killsurfcity
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

meh, read the thread. it's more complicated than that. plus, there's yet to be a compelling argument that it is oxidation, other than thats what everyone says everything is on this board.

anyway, i think i'm going to unfollow this thread, seeing as how it seems me and OP are having a different enough issue that I don't want to jack his thread.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #58
ShawDeuce22
Recipes 

*****Back with pictures*****

Here is a picture of the beer taken from the test cylinder after the gravity reading for reference:

Picture from 12oz:

Picture from 22oz:

Picture from 750mL:

All of these pictures are stolen from friends, but this is the best I can do currently (especially with no 750mL's left).

[EDIT] Spelling (yes, I spelled "picture" wrong...and "from")

Primary : NADA

Secondary 1 : Lambic (3F dregs)
Secondary 2 : Brett'd w/ Peaches
Secondary 3 : NADA

Bottled : English Barleywine, Saison, Roasty Nuts Xmas Ale, RIS, Ancient Mead, Brett 3 IPA

Drinking : Brett 3 IPA (maybe in 2 weeks)

Test Batches: d'Bilder, Roasty Brett Nuts, Spontanteous Citra Pale

Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #59
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2189 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2170

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
there is a potential flaw in the argument that the color isn't due to oxidation because the beer doesn't taste oxidized. the amount of O2 required to react with something in the beer (say, metals or some other chemical) could be a lot lower than the taste threshold.
Lots of the beers in this thread have brett in them. Brett is an anti-oxidative reactant. Shenanigans!

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #60
andrewcoopergt
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default It has to be the Brett...right?

Trying to revive this thread, even though it got a little snippy.

I too have been struck with the purple. Brett dregs added to a saison after fermentation was complete. You will see attached the finished saison in comparision with it's 1 gallon experiment with Orval and Sofie dregs.

It has to be some Brett overreaction with oxygen, right? I cant really imagine that there was any kind of oxygenation problem, though, as i did nothing different than any other beer i have done over the 2 years ive been at it, but who knows?

Anyone able to wait this out and salvage the awful purple?

photo-1-.jpg   photo.jpg  

Quick Reply