New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > color change after bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
cageybee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 139

why would anyone want to use oxyclean on carboys? seems like a risk to me, but I'm just a noob......interesting that infected brews seem to happen to veteran home-brewers (per this forum), wonder if the same phenomena is at work here....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageybee
why would anyone want to use oxyclean on carboys? seems like a risk to me, but I'm just a noob......interesting that infected brews seem to happen to veteran home-brewers (per this forum), wonder if the same phenomena is at work here....
Oxyclean is widely used to clean homebrewing equipment. It is similar to Five Star's Powdered Brewery Wash. It works great and as long as you rinse well there's no residue leftover.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
cageybee
Recipes 

might be similar....how similar? PBW was formulated for brewers (coors) oxyclean was not? ...dunno

Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
mot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageybee View Post
might be similar....how similar? PBW was formulated for brewers (coors) oxyclean was not? ...dunno
oxyclean is used by many brewers on cleaning, similar but not the same.
DO a google search plenty of reading to disban your myth

Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
ShawDeuce22
Recipes 

Could it be some form of oxidation? All of the pictures look like its turning to a rust color. I do not purge anything with CO2 before transfering or bottling...don't have the resources for that. I would assume that the brett would react somehow to to the extra O2, but none of my bottles have a pellicle in them.

...WTF!?!?!

Primary : NADA

Secondary 1 : Lambic (3F dregs)
Secondary 2 : Brett'd w/ Peaches
Secondary 3 : NADA

Bottled : English Barleywine, Saison, Roasty Nuts Xmas Ale, RIS, Ancient Mead, Brett 3 IPA

Drinking : Brett 3 IPA (maybe in 2 weeks)

Test Batches: d'Bilder, Roasty Brett Nuts, Spontanteous Citra Pale

Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
cageybee
Recipes 

if I had some oxyclean, I could put a drop of it into some Belgian blonde to see what would happen....maybe my wife has some somewhere....

Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
mot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageybee View Post
if I had some oxyclean, I could put a drop of it into some Belgian blonde to see what would happen....maybe my wife has some somewhere....
I beleive everyone of these has brett, lacto, pedio or a combination of them all not just regular sach...

Dropping a high concentration of oxyclean in a beer is different than these issues suggest

Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Need more detailed info if there's any chance to get to the bottom of this, although I'm beginning to doubt that there's a common cause:

1) Describe taste (metallic, astringent, acetic, sewer, soapy, etc.)

2) How long did it take for the change to occur?

3) What cleaners and sanitizers were used? If starsan, do you "fear the foam" and try to get most of it out, or do you rack on top of foam?

Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #19
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookstrat
Need more detailed info if there's any chance to get to the bottom of this, although I'm beginning to doubt that there's a common cause:

1) Describe taste (metallic, astringent, acetic, sewer, soapy, etc.)

2) How long did it take for the change to occur?

3) What cleaners and sanitizers were used? If starsan, do you "fear the foam" and try to get most of it out, or do you rack on top of foam?
1) I'd have to reference my notes, but will do so when I have access (on a plane right now). From memory, the beer was driven by classic Brett characteristics, which were WAY over the top due to the fact that the beer was left out in high temps (high 90's!) for several days during active fermentation after forgetting to place it back in the chest freezer (68F)

2) Color change didn't occur in primary. Upon transferring to the keg I noticed it about 2 weeks after that date, but this was the first time I poured the beer from the keg, so the actual duration of time is unknown.

3) Oxy/Starsan. I have no issue racking onto a good deal of foam in a keg or carboy and have never had any perceptible issues as a result.

I'm curious as to residual oxy in the keg being a reactant of some sort.

The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman

Follow me on Twitter @SoCalBeer

Old 03-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
killsurfcity
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

mathewjamesstone, was my brew partner on this batch that went off, he mentions it happening to our berliner as well. He answers most of these questions already, but here they are in a list just for the sake of science. haha

1) The taste retains the sour, funky, and malty tastes from the untainted beer, but the flavors are masked and blunted in an odd way. Stifled perhaps. Any fruity notes from the base beer are now obscured beyond recognition. Then the flavor that takes over is cidery, dirty, and slightly metallic/soapy. But it's not overpowering. Some people who tried it thought it was only just shy of drinkable still.

2) For this batch it's hard to say as it was kept about 1.5 hours away from where we live. I think I noticed it after a month or so though. In the case of the berliner however, it happened in around 2 days.

3) OxiClean and Star-San. I do not fear the foam, however in this case, I don't even think there was much if any.

It should be noted that I use both of these products in the process of every beer I make. I've been making sour beers almost exclusively for a few years now, and have never had an experience like this before.

Another aspect I had forgotten about that may be worth noting, is that none of the affected beers reformed pellicles in the carboys. This is very unusual, especially when fruit is added. The one surviving carboy DID form a pellicle.

Quick Reply