Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Clean / Sour Split

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
beekgeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Clean / Sour Split

Hi all,

I've done one sour (10 gallons of Flanders Red, only in carboy for a couple of months), and am now looking at getting another one going. (So, very much a noob in this area). With my brewing setup, I typically brew 10-11 gallons of beer based on one mash and then look at variations between the two carboys (different yeast strains or dry hop additions for example).

For my next batch, I'd like to brew up something a bit maltier/more roasted than the string of saisons, wits, and IPAs I've been making recently. The question I'm turning around in my head is whether I can brew something that fits that profile and would be equally tasty clean and sour.

A couple of (clean) brews on my bucket list include Janet's Brown and a Scottish 80/-. I don't necessarily need 10 gallons of either, and wondering how well these would translate to sour beers. I understand that hop-forward / high IBU beers may not be good candidates. So perhaps if I did the Janet's Brown, I could pull off some wort earlier in the process.

Conversely, how would a clean Oud Bruin based recipe taste?

Some rambling thoughts, but I figured I might get more mileage on this forum than any other public outlet I've got.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Beernoulli
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've had a soured Scottish ale that was pretty awesome, and I've had a few good sour stouts. These were all commercially soured in barrels, FWIW.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Pastorken
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Enjoy the spirit of experimenting! So far all of my sours have been lighter krieks and Berliners but after tasting the 2013 La Folie, which is a sour brown, I'm thinking of taking some of my next honey brown or Belgian strong and souring it just to see what I get. I love this stuff!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Could you mash the whole amount then split it in two for the boil? That way you can have five low IBU and five with the normal amount of ibus?

Brute Brew Works
Primary: Epic Flemish Brown(15g) waiting to go into a bourbon barrel, Brett C. Blackberry Berliner, lambic waiting for fruit
Secondary: Sour Brown Ale from Black IPA second runnings sitting on 2.5lbs. blackberries and 2.5lbs mulberries
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanThompson View Post
Could you mash the whole amount then split it in two for the boil? That way you can have five low IBU and five with the normal amount of ibus?
That would be my suggestion. Another idea would be to pull a couple gallons off the mash or boil before it's hopped and let it lacto sour, then add to 3 gallons of the main brew.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Quick Reply