Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Classic Beer Style Series: Lambic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
thedigitale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Classic Beer Style Series: Lambic

I just picked this up at my LHBS, and was wondering if anyone else has read it? It's copyright 1990, and I believe it may be out of print, but it seems to have some great information in it and details brewing with barrels. It also has recipes for extract, all grain, and full barrel all grain.

I'm debating starting a 3 year Gueuze brewing cycle, and this is the beginning of my research. I plan to pick up Wild Brews next.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've been trying to find a copy of that at a reasonable price. It is out of print and always seems to be $50+ on amazon or half.com

Wild Brews is a great book

Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
thedigitale
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Wow! My LHBS had it at regular price ($11). I'll check and see if he has anymore copies and let you know. I'd be happy to send it out for cost + shipping if he has more.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I managed to get it thru ILL, it's a great book. I scanned two of the recipes, if there's interest (and it's legal) I can post them.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
ScottD13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
I managed to get it thru ILL, it's a great book. I scanned two of the recipes, if there's interest (and it's legal) I can post them.

As a Public Librarian who homebrew's I couldn't be happier to hear you say that! I get brewing books all the time through ILL! As for posting the scanned pics...that could be troublesome, but retyping them with credits should not be a problem....

Anyway, I had the lambic book years ago but at the time it was way over my head! I wish I still had it....Wild Brews is a great book too!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigitale View Post
I'm debating starting a 3 year Gueuze brewing cycle, and this is the beginning of my research. I plan to pick up Wild Brews next.

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I will ahve to look for this book to add to my collection.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
thedigitale
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez77 View Post
I am thinking of doing the same thing. I will ahve to look for this book to add to my collection.
Were you planning on getting barrels? I was thinking 6 barrels with one being started every 6 months. This way if one gets wonky I'm not a year behind and I can blend the aged lambics as I go.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigitale View Post
Were you planning on getting barrels? I was thinking 6 barrels with one being started every 6 months. This way if one gets wonky I'm not a year behind and I can blend the aged lambics as I go.
I was thinking of getting barrels but I am not sure. There is a distiller that I have bought barrels from before. They have 3,5, or 7 g barrels. I would like to get a few of the 3g ones but I am worried about the spirits that were in there having an impact on the flavor seeing that characteristic is not what you would typically think of for a lambic. I could run a few beers though them to get the spirit flavor out of it and then us them for sours I guess. What are you planning on doing for the barrels? New or used and size?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
thedigitale
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was planning on going new 5g barrels. The first batch of each may be a bit green, but I figure once dedicated and broken in over a few years they should be amazing.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #10
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Has anyone seen this book for a reasonable price lately? Just did a quick search and couldn't find a copy for under $75!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Quick Reply