Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Which Cherries to Get?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
gxm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Which Cherries to Get?

I want to add cherries to my lambic http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/fir...esults-184124/

What type of cherries should I get? I assume I want cherries that have good, strong cherry flavor. I've not used fresh cherries before, should I prefer tart or sweet?
We're going to be out in the gorge in a couple of weeks, here's the list of cherries - http://www.packerorchardsandbakery.com/fruitStand.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sour cherries for sure. Montmorency and morello are the best bets. Their "pie cherries" might be the former; ask. Sweet varieties aren't great for brewing.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 07-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I've made a couple very good beers with sweet/dark cherries, but sour/pie are more cherry-y. One of the brewers at the Lambic Summit said that the traditional “kriek” cherries (schaerbeek) are not as sour as American sour cherries (and gives more color). I was also told by a great homebrewer, who does terrific fruit lambics, that a blend of sour/sweet is a good way to go, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet.

Good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

One thing to consider is that it's easier to use processed concentrate because it adds more cherry without displacing so much beer. It's also already sterile.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
One thing to consider is that it's easier to use processed concentrate because it adds more cherry without displacing so much beer. It's also already sterile.
Certainly a decent option off-season, but this time of the year I’d go fresh if you can get them. For a sour beer sterility really doesn't matter, you also miss out on all the subtleties added by the pits and skins.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I have also read great things about using them fresh and the complexity that you can get by using the pits and skin. Plus from the skins you might get an interesting wild yeast or not.
I would get several tart and sweet cherries and freeze the rest. It is recommended about 2lbs/gal. So what I did was added 1/2 now and then I will add the other half a couple months before bottling. And this way you can taste the beer and decide the ratio of cherries you want to add near the end.
I'm jealous, in San Diego, fresh tart cherries do not exist.

Let us know how it ends up

Old 07-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Certainly a decent option off-season, but this time of the year I’d go fresh if you can get them. For a sour beer sterility really doesn't matter, you also miss out on all the subtleties added by the pits and skins.
That's a good point. I'm always working in a barrel so I'm concerned with putting the fruit in there and making a mess. Do you have the same opinion about red raspberries? What about the cost difference? I can get a gallon of 65brix concentrate for $100. That's like 100 pounds of berries.
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-10-2010, 03:22 AM   #8
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do not think concentrates give off the same flavors as whole fresh fruit.

In the past I have brewed several beers with fresh vs. extracts/ concentrate. The fruit ones seem to have more subtle fruit and the extract/ concentrate have a crisper and more clearly defined fruit flavor.

You can't beat the ease of concentrates though.

It really comes down to what you want and how much work you want it to be.

BW

Old 07-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #9
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Young and nubile?

Sorry, couldn't resist...