Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Catch-all thread to discuss brewing 100% brett beers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
BootsyFlanootsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Catch-all thread to discuss brewing 100% brett beers.

I thought it might be helpful to have a single thread for people discuss all things related to brewing an exclusively brett beer rather than a bunch of disjointed threads discussing what is essentially the same subject.

I'll get things started:

I had a two month old vial of ECY B. Custersianus sitting in the fridge that I've been meaning to get around to using. after scouring the web for info on starters for 100% I was just as confused as I was when I set out. the only constant I came across was " make a big starter",.

I figured; 'well, my vial is two months old, has no info regarding projected initial cell count, so I'd better do a multi-step". started out with 1.5 liters of 1036 wort, pitched whole vial two days ago. visible activity has been slow at best.

not sure where to go from here...

pitch another two liters of wort at the same gravity? that's the direction I'm leaning at the moment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A single thread ... I think you are trying to boil the ocean, and it will not fit in the pot.

Re. your situation, yes, using Brett as a primary yeast needs a big starter. Of similar size to a lager, or about 2X what you would use for a regular ale yeast.

Once it is awake, it will tend to work just like any normal sacc yeast.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I feel like most of these threads just go over and over the same issues and it becomes redundant.

re: my starter.. it's pretty inactive. I'm gonna try to step it up again and see what happens.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I agree, lager sized starter. From what I've read anyway, have only done one 100% brett beer. Definitely a slow process, I let the vial of WLP650 go for a week, slowly adding sugars every couple of days. No stir plate (in use at the time), not sure of the recommended aeration/agitation method.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 11-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

For my all brett beers (Sat. or Sun. brew-day), I go with a 1L 1040 starter mid-week, let that ride 2 days, put that in the fridge overnight to sediment the brett, take it out of the fridge and do another starter, this time 1.5 L 1040, let that roll overnight or over 2 nights (depending on how the timing has worked out), and pitch that whole starter into my beer. If I was really good about planning, I cold crash the second starter so I can pitch just the slurry, but my planning isn't often perfect.

I always get fast starts and great ferments with this method. If you don't see great activity on the first starter, you may on the second. Have fun.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2108

2 days is not enough time for brett starters. I'm not sure about all species, but a good rule of thumb for brux is 7 days minimum on a stir plate at warm (75-80) temps.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I only have experience with Brettanomyces bruxellensis trois. Initially, when you look at the vial, you have VERY LITTLE sediment. I made a weak starter of about 500 mLs of 1.024 gravity and let it sit at room temp for 7 days. Crashed cooled it for 2 days, then added about a liter of 1.040 wort. 7 days again and crash cooled. I brewed a beer a few days after starting to crash cool and collected about a liter of wort after running through a plate chiller and added that to my slurry of Brett for an overnight starter before pitching it all into the batch. Fermentation took off after about 5 hours and fermented out in about 10 days.

This was an interesting beer. It was a 100% Red X grainbill with no finishing hops. Only used about 15 grams of Warrior for bittering. The fruitiness from the yeast was amazing! It was like I tossed in a bunch of galaxy, amarillo, and nelson (but I didn't).

I have also heard about underpitching this yeast to get more of the fruity esters. Don't know if I underpitched or not. There was a lot of yeast slurry in the starter.

Cheers!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
ggorospe
Recipes 

I'll be bottle conditioning a couple all Brett golden ales in a few weeks. I thought I read somewhere on the intraweb to use a little more priming sugar for all Brett beers because the yeast doesn't create as much CO2 as regular yeast. Is this true or not?

Old 11-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Thorpe429
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggorospe
I'll be bottle conditioning a couple all Brett golden ales in a few weeks. I thought I read somewhere on the intraweb to use a little more priming sugar for all Brett beers because the yeast doesn't create as much CO2 as regular yeast. Is this true or not?
If anything, you should use less with Brett beers unless you're already sitting near 1.000 FG because Brett will consume sugars that the primary yeast did not.

Blog: http://spontaneousfunk.blogspot.com/
Untappd: https://untappd.com/ambrosiaales

Old 11-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

still building up my starter of B. Custersianus. it's been a bit slow to get going. just last night I descanted off the spent wort from the 500 ml starter, and racked 2l's of fresh 1040 strength wort onto the yeast cake. visible signs of fermentation were quick to appear, but still not exactly a vigorous ferment. I'm
thinking I'll step it up one last time from here and take my chances cell count-wise.

Quick Reply