Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Capturing wild yeast -- and apparently mold

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 02:59 AM   #21
xeerohour
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quick update on this...

I decanted off the majority of it, leaving what you see in the first pic. The mold poured off just fine. I did notice the starter smelled strongly sour and fruity, which I considered to be a good sign the dregs took root, and you can see the layer of yeast on the bottom. I poured that into a sanitized pitcher and cleaned and sanitized the starter jug.

While I was doing that, I then took half a gallon of water, a cup of DME, and a pinch of some simcoe hops I had laying around, and boiled that for 15 minutes. I cooled that, and added it back to the original jug (I realized I didn't want to dedicate two separate jugs as 'sour'). I then pitched the yeast and dregs from the pitcher back in, and got what you see in the second pic.

Now - I wait a week, and pray no more mold develops.

img_0192.jpg   img_0194.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #22
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow! I have no mold, but I do have a pellicle!

That was quick...

Old 05-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #23
QuaffableQuips
G'suffa!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeerohour View Post
Wow! I have no mold, but I do have a pellicle!

That was quick...
Holy crap, man. Congrats on getting rid of your mold. And congrats (I think) on the pellicle. I've never brewed anything that makes a pellicle. Do they normally pop up that fast?

My little 1.5 L wild starter has fermented out, so it'll be time to brew up a test batch with it this week. This is what I'm thinking (3 gal):

3 lb light DME
0.5 lb Crystal 20
1 oz EKG 4.6% AA (60 min)
OG 1.045-ish
IBU 20-ish

Not really shooting for a particular style or anything, just something to showcase the yeast character so I can judge what I have.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #24
Kcarrier513
Recipes 

I also caught some wild yeast, after the initial yeast got going I pitched into a larger starter, its been two weeks and I tried it today it haas good aroma but a vinegar and sour taste. I did oxygenate the starter wort. Could that have caused the vinegar flavor and if I decant the liquid steal a small amount of the slurry and repitch into a fresh, non-oxygenated wort would I get rid of the vinegar flavor

Old 05-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #25
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcarrier513 View Post
I also caught some wild yeast, after the initial yeast got going I pitched into a larger starter, its been two weeks and I tried it today it haas good aroma but a vinegar and sour taste. I did oxygenate the starter wort. Could that have caused the vinegar flavor and if I decant the liquid steal a small amount of the slurry and repitch into a fresh, non-oxygenated wort would I get rid of the vinegar flavor
yes, that would work, acetobacter need oxygen to make vinegar so without 02 they cant do anything

you might still get a slight vinegar nose though as brett can produce low levels of it, though in my experience it ends up being more in the nose than the taste

Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #26
Kcarrier513
Recipes 

I think a slight vinegar nose would be ok. It is slight in,taste right now, not very strong, I dont mind the sour in a lambic, or flanders beer, just dont want the vinegar flavor to overpower.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #27
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick update on mine - went to use my wild starter today and it had a small spot of green mold growing on the top, nothing like the white mold I had on the initial attempt. it still smelled good sour and funky, but it's not worth the risk.

At this point, I'm just saying screw it and throwing out the starter. Just pitching a smack pack of the wyeast lambic blend instead.

Unfortunate.

Quick Reply