Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Can I bottle my lambic now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Rugrad02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Can I bottle my lambic now?

I recently brewed a 1 gallon batch from some ingredients I had around the house. I wanted to see how crushed juniper berries would taste in a gallon batch of brown ale before I went all out for a larger batch. I wasn't planning on turning it into a lambic but on a whim threw the dregs of a Gueze Fond Tradition and a Cuvée Rene into the glass carboy. Well, now I want to do a proper lambic with proper ingredients and need the 1 gallon carboy. I don't want to toss what I've started. Can I bottle it now?

There appears to be a pellicle that has formed on the top of the beer. I threw the dregs in when fermentation had slowed and not long afterwards started getting more activity in the airlock as well as more bubbles in the beer. It could taste disgusting with the juniper berries and could be a waste but again, I wouldn't mind giving it some time. What's coming out of the airlock smells pretty great. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Is the gravity stable? Also, how old is the beer?

Brute Brew Works
Primary: Epic Flemish Brown(15g) waiting to go into a bourbon barrel, Brett C. Blackberry Berliner, lambic waiting for fruit
Secondary: Sour Brown Ale from Black IPA second runnings sitting on 2.5lbs. blackberries and 2.5lbs mulberries
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Rugrad02
Recipes 

The gravity is stable, but the beer is still quite young. I brewed it a month and a half ago. I was hoping that I could bottle it and age it for a year or two.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
TimT
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I doubt the gravity is stable, it will go to zero. I would do some more reading in regards to what you are doing.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Rugrad02
Recipes 

I am simply asking for recommendations, as was my original intention. And actually it is stable. Four consecutive readings have been exactly the same. Certainly not at zero.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Rob_B
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It takes the brettanomyces, lacto and pediococus, etc. much longer than a month to reach terminal gravity. What was your OG? What's your gravity now? If you're using gallon jugs and need more carboy space I would recommend picking up a jug of cider or something that you can enjoy and get a new jug from. This will open up your space and still allow you to ferment out your sour completely. The main concern if you bottle now is the chance that you'll forget about the bottles and they'll turn into bottle bombs on you one day.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
Rugrad02
Recipes 

Great, thank you for responding. You answered another of my questions regarding the effects of bottling now and the dreaded bottle bombs. I am guessing that as the beer develops and ages, the bacteria will cause further fermentation in the bottle thereby causing an increase in pressure.

My local Whole Foods does sell organic apple juice in gallon glass jars for about $8.50 and I have collected 3 of them, one which is being used for the beer being described. I was hoping to avoid having to buy another but I think I may. I should have just bought a 3-gallon carboy. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 267

i'd b nervous about bottling now. 2 gravity points = 1 vol CO2, so unless you're at 1.006 i would be afraid of bottle bombs (and even then it's no guarantee, i believe that the right combo of bugs can take you below 1.000).

bugs work very slowly so you need to take your gravity readings not days apart, but weeks or months apart. gravity might not fall enough over a few days to be able to read on a hydrometer.

6 months is a minimum i'd give bacteria.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
ffaoe
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Give it another 6 months to for the slow bugs to get going and developed the beer.

Quick Reply