Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Calling all blenders

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Ketchepillar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Calling all blenders

So who does this? Tell us about it. I think it would be awesome to have a whole load of carboys of sour beer around of various types and ages to blend and bottle as I please. Any homebrewers out there so adventurous as to make gueuze complete with figuring out the quantity of young lambic to put in for carbonation, but not bottle bombs? That sounds amazing, but I think I'll wait till I have lots of sour brewing experience till I try my hand at that kind of predicting. Still can't wait to have lots of sour things around for blending though.

Up Next: Coffee Stouts, Brett Beers, More Sours, Quad, Brown
Primary: Sour
Secondary: Sour
On Tap:
Bottled: The Queenella Dugbe RIS, Avlan RIS,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I've dabled a bit, but so far it has just been in the glass, or a special blend to put on tap for a party. The issue is dealing with the extra beer that isn't blended (not a great idea to leave half full carboys sitting around).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 05-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ive started to do a lot of this in the last year, and I find my sours have been significantly better because of it, I used to only blend to make gueuze, but I never tried to figure out ratios for carbonation, instead i just used heavy glass and primed slightly lower

As to Oldsocks comment about half full carboys, I solved this by getting a bunch of 3gal carboys, that ways after blending I can save half or a bit more of the batch for further aging

Old 05-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
couchsurfer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I do this, I use the Solera method... Basically I do it in kegs, which is very easy. I just recommend making an investment in a few dedicated used kegs.

Twice a year I add fresh beer and somewhere in the bottom keg is some small fraction of brew that is easily 5 years old... blended with all the more recent batches, of course. It's the easiest way to keep great lambic on tap, all the time, besides the brew really lends itself to this method, because balancing flavors is a huge part of the art. You can keep on separating sections and add fruit or whatever you want as you go.

Bopper Likes This 
Old 05-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Ketchepillar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchsurfer View Post
I do this, I use the Solera method... Basically I do it in kegs, which is very easy. I just recommend making an investment in a few dedicated used kegs.

Twice a year I add fresh beer and somewhere in the bottom keg is some small fraction of brew that is easily 5 years old... blended with all the more recent batches, of course. It's the easiest way to keep great lambic on tap, all the time, besides the brew really lends itself to this method, because balancing flavors is a huge part of the art. You can keep on separating sections and add fruit or whatever you want as you go.
That sounds pretty awesome. Although my love for detail makes me want to be more precise.

Up Next: Coffee Stouts, Brett Beers, More Sours, Quad, Brown
Primary: Sour
Secondary: Sour
On Tap:
Bottled: The Queenella Dugbe RIS, Avlan RIS,

Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
couchsurfer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchepillar View Post
That sounds pretty awesome. Although my love for detail makes me want to be more precise.
Yea I think I am very far on the 'feeling' side of the spectrum, as a brewer, anyway, mostly it's sort of taking samples and trying fractions, and really, as the lambic ages, it goes from a sweet-malty to sweet-sour... I also use honey and other adjuncts, I guess they never get totally 100% removed but the brew changes over time and... that's just sort of the way it goes...

I thought this pretty much captured the spirit of it, I'm sad I can't have such parties (yet?) as I know no homebrewers who are local: http://www.docstavern.com/blending-l...th-two-masters

<= what a cool icon!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchsurfer View Post
I thought this pretty much captured the spirit of it, I'm sad I can't have such parties (yet?) as I know no homebrewers who are local: http://www.docstavern.com/blending-l...th-two-masters

<= what a cool icon!
Looks like that site is ripping off Oldsock, thats a post from his blog The Mad Fermentationist, in fact theres many of his posts from his blog on that site with no reference to his blog

Old 05-14-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
squeekysheep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been blending some of my beers, you can also make a new batch of beer and refill a carboy I did this a few times makes a whole new beer and it ferments quicker.

Battle Axe brewing

Old 05-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
Looks like that site is ripping off Oldsock, thats a post from his blog The Mad Fermentationist, in fact theres many of his posts from his blog on that site with no reference to his blog
Yep, thanks for letting me know (and tracking down the people I needed to contact). Here is the "actual" post from my blog: http://www.themadfermentationist.com...-with-two.html

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
couchsurfer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Yep, thanks for letting me know (and tracking down the people I needed to contact). Here is the "actual" post from my blog: http://www.themadfermentationist.com...-with-two.html
Hey Oldsock - it's a beautifully done post, attracting the highest form of flattery B) (theft, of course)

Quick Reply