Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Bunk Lacto?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
ardyexfor
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Bunk Lacto?

About 4 days ago i made a 2L starter for a pack of wyeast lacto. About 2/3rds of it is 1030 wort. I heard lacto like simple sugars and heard of a lot of people using apple juice as a soure. So I took about five apples and ran them through a juicer and mixed that with the wort. I have been keeping the starter going at about 90-100F.

As of yet there has been zero activity. I read that a lot of times lacto will not show signs of working. So I smelled it, smelled slightly of sweet apples which makes sense with apple juice being in there. I tasted a small amount and it just tasted slightly sweet, not sour at all.

What gives?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lacto will only work on some sugars. However I suspect you have them in your starter.

I've not used the Wyeast Lacto, but the last couple of times I used Lacto, it took 5 days to be noticeable (at 100 F). Once you pitch it, it goes through what is called the lag phase, which can be hours to days while it is getting used to the medium. Then it gets into it's exponential growth phase which is where the lactic acid is formed. Once it starts the growth phase it will go quick, doubling in size in less than an hour; should sour nicely within 24 hours.

You may not see any activity.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
ardyexfor
Recipes 

On a side note, I also started about a cup of wort with a small handfull of uncrushed grain yesterday. It is already building a pellicle. Even though I could pitch this as well or instead, I was hoping to try out the results of a pure culture first. So here's hoping this puppy sours up!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyexfor View Post
On a side note, I also started about a cup of wort with a small handfull of uncrushed grain yesterday. It is already building a pellicle. Even though I could pitch this as well or instead, I was hoping to try out the results of a pure culture first. So here's hoping this puppy sours up!
I've used the commercial lactos and also cultured it from crushed grain. The grain lacto is way more aggressive, with a shorter lag phase and much more pronounced sourness. And it's free. No need to buy lacto IMO.

To OP: Lacto can take a week or so to start showing visible signs of fermentation. No worries.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 03-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
nofootbreak
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I actually pitched wyeast lacto a little over 48 hours ago and was beginning to worry about it too. Hopefully its just a lag phase... A buddy of mine got some in the same order from our homebrew shop and his is in the same boat.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
ardyexfor
Recipes 

Almost been a week now, still tastes like warm apple juice. Should I be worried yet?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyexfor View Post
About 4 days ago i made a 2L starter for a pack of wyeast lacto. About 2/3rds of it is 1030 wort. I heard lacto like simple sugars and heard of a lot of people using apple juice as a soure. So I took about five apples and ran them through a juicer and mixed that with the wort. I have been keeping the starter going at about 90-100F.

As of yet there has been zero activity. I read that a lot of times lacto will not show signs of working. So I smelled it, smelled slightly of sweet apples which makes sense with apple juice being in there. I tasted a small amount and it just tasted slightly sweet, not sour at all.

What gives?
When you said you added five juiced apples to this, did you sanitize the apples in any way or just add them unheated to wort?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
ardyexfor
Recipes 

I brought the juice to a boil briefly then cooled. From what Ive read apples dont typically contain preservatives.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
ardyexfor
Recipes 

so yesterday around noon I still had no noticeable sourness in my wyeast lacto starter. On my mason jar of lacto cultured from grain i had a bit of a filmy pellicle and the whole starter looked creamy white. I took approximately half of the mason jar lacto and strained it into my apple juice/wort/wyeast lacto concoction. The other half I dumped into a newly made 1L starter of DME wort.

By Nine O Clock last night:
2013-03-25-20.48.55.jpg

Noon today,
Apple Juice/Wort/Wyeast Starter:
895.jpg
897.jpg

New wort starter:
896.jpg

So definetely some pellicle formation on both of these starters, however never having worked with lacto before, I do not know if this is characteristic of a lacto pellicle. Does this appear to be lacto to you guys? Or did I pick something else up from the grain?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #10
ardyexfor
Recipes 

Keeps getting more gnarly...
7 PM, 31 hrs after pitching.

Apple Juice/Wort/Wyeast Starter:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

New wort starter:
4.jpg
5.jpg

The apple juice mixture looks straight up gross and awesome.

The plain wort starter is looking much like the grain starter looked in the mason jar before pitching. We'll see if it catches up or stays different...

Quick Reply