Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Bulk age in corny?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
ChadChaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bulk age in corny?

Hey guys, here's my question. I have 4 sours going all around the 6-8 month range and all are still on the yeast cake. I want to transfer them off the cake and pitch something new onto the cakes. Can I bulk age these in cornys, I have like 12 cornys and only 4 sour fermentors. Do I need to purge them every so often or just let em ride out till it's time to carb?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

You can certainly bulk age in corny kegs. Good idea to vent them every few weeks until you get a feel for how much pressure is building up. Kegs are more difficult to re-sanitize than carboys once the microbes get into the nooks and crannies, I have a couple that are designated sour (for serving).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Montanaandy Likes This 
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
You can certainly bulk age in corny kegs. Good idea to vent them every few weeks until you get a feel for how much pressure is building up. Kegs are more difficult to re-sanitize than carboys once the microbes get into the nooks and crannies, I have a couple that are designated sour (for serving).
I have seen this asserted, kegs harder to clean, but I'm wondering what the practical result is... Next beer goes sour or has Brett flavors?

I've only seen that Devil yeast thread, but it seems hard to beleive that a good keg wash with pbw, and hot water and sanitizer on all parts won't clean it up.

Any one else seeing trouble or just being precautious?

Old 04-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
LiquidArtisan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I bulk age beer in cornies, anytime I go from sour to reg beer I just give it a good soak in pbw, hot rinse & then starsan like normal but I also switch out the rubber gaskets for sours. I've never had an issue yet. I also use a long tube brush to clean my dip tube.

Quick Reply