Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Bruxellensis v Lambicus?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brett C is very mild... aromas of hay, mild barnyard, pleasant. Pineapple flavors, much like warm-fermented Cali ale, pretty clean overall. Most of the character is in the aroma. I really like this one for a light all-brett beer where B or L could be overpowering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #12
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
How long have you been aging the beer for? I got a lot of fruit using it as a 100% fermentation, but in both primary/secondary I got a good deal of funk/leather (although much more in primary with Sacch).
I've gotten a lot of very pleasant fruit flavor using it as a primary strain in beer, cider and graff. I have some in secondary right now, and I was planning on taking a couple of samples this weekend. One is about 5 months Brett, the other two are 4 months.

Since I used it for several beers and as the primary yeast several times I had a starter going for a while, and tasted the starter wort a number of times. Each time it was fruity. Comparing this to the Barnyard smell and flavor from the starter made from the dregs of the Ommegang Biere De Mars, there was no comparison. I have difficulty believing they are the same yeast strain. I have two small batches using that yeast in secondary, that I'm also going to be tasting this weekend, also 4 months since adding.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:03 AM   #13
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

does pitching a brett w a sacc make sense simultaneously? i picked up some brett c and was going to pitch it with an ale yeast in a berliner. is there any point to using the sacc at all?

not going to change how long i let it ferment, but i'm going for a fruity character more than leather so i figured the less sugar the brett gets to eat, the softer the results...?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Brett C is very mild... aromas of hay, mild barnyard, pleasant. Pineapple flavors, much like warm-fermented Cali ale, pretty clean overall. Most of the character is in the aroma. I really like this one for a light all-brett beer where B or L could be overpowering.
Hmm, maybe a brett wheat beer would be a good experiment.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakacs View Post
does pitching a brett w a sacc make sense simultaneously? i picked up some brett c and was going to pitch it with an ale yeast in a berliner. is there any point to using the sacc at all?

not going to change how long i let it ferment, but i'm going for a fruity character more than leather so i figured the less sugar the brett gets to eat, the softer the results...?
If you want to use 100% Brett you'll need to build it up to a pitchable amount.

Brett is pretty unpredictable, pitching it as the only microbe will make for a cleaner character since it won't be stressed out. Pitching in primary with Sacch seems to give more character than pitching in secondary, but not always.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I brewed my first Brett beer using a Bells best brown ale recipe. I cut back the bitterness to 20 ibu's, and pitched US-05 and Brett B at the same time. Kept the beer upstairs so it was around 68 ambient temp.

It was in primary for 4 weeks, then transferred to secondary where it has been for about 2.5 months. There is a definite wild smell and taste to the beer. I'm thinking horsey/funk right off the bat with a little bit of tart fruitiness. It finishes with a hint of malt and bitterness on the back end.

Does anyone have experience with adding fruit to a brett beer? I have 2 cans of Oregon fruit red raspberry. I want to add them but I like the taste now and I don't want to destroy the beer. Any feedback would be appreciated

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
bourgeoisbee
Recipes 

Check out Oldsock's website - http://www.themadfermentationist.com/ You can spend days reading about adding fruit to brett beers there.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #18
jtakacs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
If you want to use 100% Brett you'll need to build it up to a pitchable amount.

Brett is pretty unpredictable, pitching it as the only microbe will make for a cleaner character since it won't be stressed out. Pitching in primary with Sacch seems to give more character than pitching in secondary, but not always.
almost sounds counterintuitive that brett alone would be cleaner... decided i'm gonna break up a 6 gallon brew in half and pitch half with sacc and brett c and half with brett c only. we'll see what the difference is i guess... i'll definitely step it up - good advice, thx...

Old 03-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #19
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakacs

almost sounds counterintuitive that brett alone would be cleaner...
Brettanomyces produces the classic funky/cherry pie/horse blanket flavors and aromas when stressed, e.g. when its in a high alcohol, low pH, etc environment. If you pitch it by itself, it won't be as stressed, and it'll produce a cleaner product.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 03-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #20
jtakacs
Recipes 

interesting. clearly i have to do both - hoping to brew a BW this weekend and split a large batch up into smaller fermenters and pitch different combos. we'll see...

Quick Reply