Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brewing a 100% brett brux cherry stout on 26 March 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
Steve973
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing a 100% brett brux cherry stout on 26 March 2011

Hi All,

I have never brewed a brett beer before, so I thought it was time to try it, since brett beers are some of my favorites. This coming Saturday, I thought I would brew a cherry stout and ferment it with brettanomyces bruxellensis. This is what it will look like:

7 lb pils
1.5 lb caramel 120L
1 lb rye malt
1 lb Carafa Special III
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb Roasted Barley
0.25 lb Black Patent

1.0 oz Northern Brewer at 60m
0.5 oz Goldings at 30m
0.5 oz Goldings at 15m

1.0 lb lactose at 10m

1 starter of brett brux in primary

1 can of Oregon cherry puree in secondary

I haven't ever tried a brett stout before, so I am very excited about this recipe. Let me know what you think, and I'll post about how everything went sometime on Saturday evening.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would back down on the roast just a bit 2.25# while a good portion in a normal beer, I think is a bit much with both the brett and cherry going on as well, simplify your recipe to really accentuate the brett and cherries

I would also nix the rye malt, for the same reason

Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
maskednegator
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can brett eat lactose?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

I hope you got that starter of brett going a few days ago.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Mitis Saxon (brewed @ Earth - Bread + Brewery), Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Conan DIPA, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 03-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Forget the lactose and replace with simple sugar, the Brett will not attenuate as well as you want.

Too much roast.

Add some acid malt. Brett NEEDS an acidic wort.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I agree about getting rid of the lactose, didnt see it at first in the recipe, I wouldnt add sugar to replace it though

I disagree about adding acid malt, its not really needed for a brett beer, especially if your adding cherries

Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
maskednegator
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brett doesn't need acid. I've got a brett L IPA that's just great right now, and it was like 90% pils, 5% wheat, 5% aromatic.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Steve973
Recipes 

In a forum about brewing wild and experimental beer, I am surprised at some of the responses. I'm not really trying to brew anything true to any particular style. I wanted to take something similar to LMB Milk Stout, and ferment it totally with brett, and then finish it with cherries. I'm not looking for any particular amount of attenuation. I'm trying something that is fairly different, and seeing what happens. I did remove the Carafa and I replaced the rye with flaked wheat in order to let more brett character through. Other than that, I'm content to just see what happens. Brew day went really well and now I'm waiting for the fermentation to really kick in.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve973 View Post
In a forum about brewing wild and experimental beer, I am surprised at some of the responses. I'm not really trying to brew anything true to any particular style. I wanted to take something similar to LMB Milk Stout, and ferment it totally with brett, and then finish it with cherries. I'm not looking for any particular amount of attenuation. I'm trying something that is fairly different, and seeing what happens. I did remove the Carafa and I replaced the rye with flaked wheat in order to let more brett character through. Other than that, I'm content to just see what happens. Brew day went really well and now I'm waiting for the fermentation to really kick in.
Dude you posted a recipe for critique on the internet. This internet place is full of armchair quarter backs and self-proclaimed experts. What do you expect?

I say experiment on! I'm actually planning a blended stout for my annual over the top beer that I do every year for christmas. I'm thinking 50% of it will be fermented with brett and some souring organisms and the other half will be normal. Then I will sulfite the sour batch and blend for bottling.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Panky Likes This 
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
Steve973
Recipes 

Ah, I have absolutely nothing against the advice of anyone, and I appreciate the time everyone has taken to read this thread. It occurred to me that I didn't make my intentions clear when I originally posted, so I thought I would note my intentions with this one. This beer is an idea that I have been bouncing around in my head for quite a while now, so I thought I would put it into action.

Quick Reply