The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Bretting a botched batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #1
mkorpal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bretting a botched batch

That was a mouthfull. So, I attempted a Arrogant Bastard clone, but due to some rust (a few months off), some equipment problems (thermometer) and some stupid stuff by me, I screwed it up bad. I ended up mashing at too high of a temp, used way too much water, and was lazy with my yeast.

So, now I have a hoppy brown/amber that has stalled at 1.020. I've kind of given up on the idea of actually getting what I intended to get out of this, so what I'm thinking of is transferring it to a carboy I'm not using an pitching some Brett C. Does anyone think a beer like this, with 80 IBU's, will do well, or am I best off not even bothering and trying to re-start my normal fermentation? I figure with some long term aging, I should be able to get rid of a significant portion of the hop characteristics, so it may not be an issue. What is your take?

Primary: Exam Brown Ale
Primary: Unknown Mead
Secondary: Matt's Saison
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wild Devil is basically Hop Devil fermented, at least partially, with Brett. I think that's a great beer! If all you do is to add Brett (and not Pedio or "lambic blend" or anything), you shouldn't have to age it very long for a nice beer. It will probably develop differently as it ages but I think you'd probably be OK to drink it young.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I brewed a saison that I kegged at 1.014 and then decided I didn't like it that much. I transferred it back to a carboy before it had a chance to carbonate and added dregs from two bottles of Orval . After two months it went down to 1.006.
It does have the some brett flavors. What's weird to me is that it still tastes pretty sweet. I'd say give it a go can't hurt.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You could add brett to half the batch and add bourbon to the other half? Both could take care of the sweetness but in different ways.
I like the Brett qualities in hoppy ales. When they are young they are more subtle but after 6-8 months they offer a nice balance to the hops.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
mkorpal
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to take care of it now.

Primary: Exam Brown Ale
Primary: Unknown Mead
Secondary: Matt's Saison
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA

Quick Reply