The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brettanomyces in St. Bretta and Hopsavant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Oldsock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
I don't know of any studies so purely anectdoatal. CMY01 seems to make tart beer, that tastes more lactic than acetic. The bug county lamebic i have going is a citrus bomb (which I've heard from others also) and Al says that one or more of the strains in there makes citrus acid. ECY03B starter, albeit from a stir plate, was very pleasantly acidic and not acetic, though it didn't seem particulalry citric either. A friend with a lab is checking out the WLP 645 beer I made that was very lactic. I'm looking forward to seeing if he finds the same blend of brett, pichia, and lacto CY did.

I'm not a big fan of the term 'sour beer', although I did use it in my original post. I don't really like sour anything, I prefer tart. Maybe that's just sour grapes.
Cool. My issue is always how clean a fermentation actually is. It is often difficult to say definitively that a beer with Brett added is sour because of the Brett, unless you have someone looking at it under the microscope to ensure there isn’t also bacteria in there. I don’t know about you, but my Brett gear is also my sour gear. This is doubly true when it comes to smaller yeast labs, but as you mentioned can be an issue with even cultures from the big established places.

I think GENERALLY it is still true that if you want a moderate-high level of acidity (say a classic gueuze, Flemish Red, Berliner etc. or the new wave of American Sours) you need to have lactic acid bacteria in there, not just Brett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
He's got a bunch. CMY01 is one he developed, I want to say originally isolated from 3F, but not sure about that. Many of his beers have multiple brett strains or bugs as well, but a few of them, including St Brett IIRC, are CMY01 only.
Yep, CMY01 is just one of the components from BSI Brett Drie. During Chad's Masters he ID'd two different colony morphologies, matte and shiny, that strain is one of those.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
Biobrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssray2000 View Post
I am trying to culture dregs from bottles of St. Bretta and Hopsavant. Do they use different Brett strains for these two beers? Any input would be very helpful.
Thanks guys!
I recently pulled out 6 different strains, identified by colony morphology, from 4 Crooked Stave beers: Hop Savant (2), St. Bretta (1), Surette (2) and Vieille (1). Currently in the throws of running some test fermentations on them. Which ones if any are the same remains to be seen.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #13
hallebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The following info may help. Chad mentioned that:

"Hop Savant would have been primarily CMY001, which is an off shoot of the Drie strain. I haven't been able to check its stability but it has been fairly consistent so I believe it to be more "domesticated".

Vieille and Surette will be a mixed culture, It will have at least 3 strains of Brett likely in the neighborhood of 5+. As it is a blend of older vintages as well which use a mixed culture there will be plenty of bacteria, both Pedio and Lacto and I'm sure plenty more!"

Old 10-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Biobrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallebrewer View Post
The following info may help. Chad mentioned that:

"Hop Savant would have been primarily CMY001, which is an off shoot of the Drie strain. I haven't been able to check its stability but it has been fairly consistent so I believe it to be more "domesticated".

Vieille and Surette will be a mixed culture, It will have at least 3 strains of Brett likely in the neighborhood of 5+. As it is a blend of older vintages as well which use a mixed culture there will be plenty of bacteria, both Pedio and Lacto and I'm sure plenty more!"
I got 2 very noticeably different colonies from the Surrette and Hop Savant, but this makes me want to take the Surette and Vieille plates back out and let them keep growing, and see if I can get some giant colony morphology to uncover one or two more.

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
ssray2000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wrote to Chad few days ago. This is what he wrote back:

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! Depending the batch we use a yeast called Drie as our house Brett. We use the same strain for both beers.

Depending the batch of St. Bretta we likely have a nice resident bacteria strain as well!

Cheers,
Chad

Owner/Brewer
Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project
1441 W. 46th Ave. Unit 19
Denver, CO. 80211

Old 10-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #16
Biobrewer
Recipes 

About to brew some 1 gallon batches this weekend using these 6 strains from Crooked Stave along with another 4 other strains (1 brett, 3 "clean"), and in the starters I've been raising from colonies, one of the Surette colonies is very fruity/tropical and a top cropper, a Hop Savant colony and the St. Bretta colony are a pretty vigorous fermenter with some decent funky aromas, and the other 3 are mildly funky and fruity or neutral on the nose. Very excited to taste the beers in a few months!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #17
hallebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, does anyone here who has brewed with Crooked Stave yeast have any updates or anecdotes?

I agree with TNGabe about CMY001 - it gives a noticeable lactic character to my homebrew. Although isolated from Drie Fonteinen, it seems to be much more tart than Brett Brux Trois.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #18
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallebrewer View Post
So, does anyone here who has brewed with Crooked Stave yeast have any updates or anecdotes?

I agree with TNGabe about CMY001 - it gives a noticeable lactic character to my homebrew. Although isolated from Drie Fonteinen, it seems to be much more tart than Brett Brux Trois.
A friend emailed CS recently and was told that all of their beers have lacto now.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Quick Reply