Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett stout/porter/whatever

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
joshrosborne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
You can keep that cake going for years if you have the patience and the equipment.
For sure. I've been using yeast from the same pack of WY3068 for going on two years now. Definitely got my money out of that smack pack.

Primary: Lacto Brevis Berliner Weisse
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour #1, ECY01 Sour #2, The Yeast Bay Melange Sour
In bottles: Mango sour, Lambic, Brett tripel, Sour brown, Brett L/B Porter
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Two Hearted clone, Jamil's Sweet Stout with Raspberries

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I checked on this last night (+8 days) and the krausen has fallen and gravity was just about at 1.01. I almost think there must have been some sacch. in those dregs, though, because the taste is very mild. No funk from either the B or L and no cherry notes from the L. I'm going to leave it a lone for a couple more weeks and see if the gravity falls any more before bottling.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Checked gravity last night and it's down to 1.006. Still very mild. The base is solid, but not getting much from the Brett. Just tastes like a English strain of yeast at the moment. Will probably bottle this weekend.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
marvaden
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 52

From what others have said about all-brett beers, a lot of the time you don't get that much of the typical brett character with them as the primary yeast. Instead, you get more of that yeast's more typical esters.

Did you get any pineapple or ripe overly fruit of any sort?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvaden View Post
From what others have said about all-brett beers, a lot of the time you don't get that much of the typical brett character with them as the primary yeast. Instead, you get more of that yeast's more typical esters.

Did you get any pineapple or ripe overly fruit of any sort?
I didn't really get much of anything other than a slight fruitiness that I notice in a lot of English beers. Maybe the sacch strain in The Dissident is a super high attenuating English ale strain? I dunno, it seems crazy that a sacch strain inadvertently cultured from an almost year old bottle could attenuate that well.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
marvaden
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I doubt you got a sacch strain as well. That seems highly unlikely. However, Brettanomyces Claussenii is known for making a very British style ale. Are you noticing that it is giving more aroma than flavor? If so, then Brett C is a very good candidate for the strain that you are using.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvaden View Post
I doubt you got a sacch strain as well. That seems highly unlikely. However, Brettanomyces Claussenii is known for making a very British style ale. Are you noticing that it is giving more aroma than flavor? If so, then Brett C is a very good candidate for the strain that you are using.
I'm not sure. I am notoriously terrible at judging the characteristics of beers before they're carbonated. All I know is that it's not "in your face" at all.

When I contacted Deschutes, they told me they use Brett Brux and Lambicus in The Dissident, so I would assume some of either/both of those ended up in the starter I made.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #18
philiphirz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think that you are probably getting a first hand example of the difference between a 100% brett fermentation and using brett as a secondary fermentation. Brett can provide quite a different character when used as the primary yeast strain, typically it is more fruity than funky. You mentioned that Deschutes used another strain as the primary strain, but then added brett b and brett l as well. They likely added those to the secondary fermentation, which is where that characteristic brett funk usually manifests itself.

Either way, brett typically takes a while to exhibit that interesting funky character that you experienced in the beer you are cloning. I believe you mentioned that they aged Dissident for two years. That is not inexpensive and Deschutes wouldn't do that unless the age made a difference in the final beer.

If you like the beer now then drink it up, but if it isn't quite what you were hoping for set it aside for 6 months to a year and see what you think then. We would definitely love to hear how the beer progresses with age, so keep us posted. Thanks again for sharing your experience. I ordered some brett b and brett l the other day and this might be a good experiment for me to try with those strains.

Phil

Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphirz View Post
I think that you are probably getting a first hand example of the difference between a 100% brett fermentation and using brett as a secondary fermentation. Brett can provide quite a different character when used as the primary yeast strain, typically it is more fruity than funky. You mentioned that Deschutes used another strain as the primary strain, but then added brett b and brett l as well. They likely added those to the secondary fermentation, which is where that characteristic brett funk usually manifests itself.

Either way, brett typically takes a while to exhibit that interesting funky character that you experienced in the beer you are cloning. I believe you mentioned that they aged Dissident for two years. That is not inexpensive and Deschutes wouldn't do that unless the age made a difference in the final beer.

If you like the beer now then drink it up, but if it isn't quite what you were hoping for set it aside for 6 months to a year and see what you think then. We would definitely love to hear how the beer progresses with age, so keep us posted. Thanks again for sharing your experience. I ordered some brett b and brett l the other day and this might be a good experiment for me to try with those strains.

Phil
I'll definitely keep you all updated. As for the age of the bottle, I had hung onto it for a while, so that accounts for its age. I'm not sure of the bottle date, but I can check it the next time I run down to the basement.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #20
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quick update: bottled this on 10/3. It got all the way down to 1.004. Looking forward to trying it once it's carbed!

Quick Reply