Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
nberk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I took gravity samples on my beers last night 2 (14 days).

The WLP566 was at 1.002 and the WLP670 was at 1.004. The apparent attenuation was about 95%. They both taste similar right now and I'm happy with the flavors and mouthfeel. The "fear" that the non-Brett version would be too full was unfounded.

Now I'm going to age the WLP670 at ambient temps for 2 or 3 months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
nberk
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just to close the loop on this thread. I let my WL670 age for 90 days at ambient room temps and then bottled it. It turned out great and I'm really happy with the complexity and added depth the Brett brought forward over time. I would highly recommend this blend to anyone wanting to make a Brett saison.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I ended up brewing mine twice with some tweaks to the recipe. First time it was a pils base with 7% each of malted rye, Golden Naked Oats, malted wheat, and sugar using noble hops and WLP550. It was a ho-hum beer. The oats and rye definitely contributed an almost cloying mouthfeel. I didn't care for the yeast flavors either in this.

I rebrewed it with 10% each of the malts and sugar, hopped with Pacific Jade and Nelson Sauvin, fermented with a year and a half old 3711 smack pack and the dregs of 3 DuPont Saison bottles, then hit it with Orval dregs at kegging time. That one came out well. I tapped it too early (1month- pipeline was low) and wasn't excited about it, pulled it out of the fridge, then retapped it another month later. Definitely needed the age. Dried out, but those oats and rye really keep the mouthfeel smooth.

That's the first Saison I've had with Brett and I really like it. I documented in here in a SiMaiYa Saison thread. I'll tweak further next summer.

Currently I have a Pannepot clone just pitched with 670. So it won't result in a clone, but I figure a good winter warmer with complexity.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 10-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
Wingy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nberk View Post
Just to close the loop on this thread. I let my WL670 age for 90 days at ambient room temps and then bottled it. It turned out great and I'm really happy with the complexity and added depth the Brett brought forward over time. I would highly recommend this blend to anyone wanting to make a Brett saison.
I'll second this - I used WLP670 for a farmhouse rye (10% flaked, 10% malted, 80% Belgian Pilsner) and after three months in primary the results were fantastic. Now I'm just waiting for another 2 months of bottle conditioning, but this blend is great.

Quick Reply