Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett noob w/ questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #111
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've got six 12 oz bottles, the rest are in bombers. So if we do 2 for 2 swaps, I can swap with Coff, crawfman, and dcp27 and then I'll be out. PM me your addresses.

I will say, this isn't my favorite beer I've ever made - not sure if it's the yeast or the recipe isn't terribly exciting or what. It's alright, just not mind blowing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #112
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I bottled last night so Im ready to go, I have no clue how its going to turn out but I guess we will see.

Im excited to try different 100% Brett beers, Ive actually never had one until the one I brewed, so I guess Ive never had a cold carbonated one ever since Ive only had samples of mine.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #113
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have mine kegged, so I can bottle a few whenever you guys are ready.

just to make sure im following this right we have an ESB (Coff), an arrogant bastard (Crawfman), a blond (Burgs) and a tripel (me)?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #114
Burgs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
I have mine kegged, so I can bottle a few whenever you guys are ready.

just to make sure im following this right we have an ESB (Coff), an arrogant bastard (Crawfman), a blond (Burgs) and a tripel (me)?
I believe you're right

Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #115
Coff
Recipes 

Hey fellas, should we still do our trade?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #116
Coff
Recipes 

This is long overdue. Both Burgs and I brewed 100%Brett C fermented beers and decided to do a little trade.

I really enjoyed his beer and found it useful in learning about the strain. Here are my notes from the 2 tastings.

Burgs Brett C Blonde

Tasting 1

A bit cloudy 1 finger white head that fades quickly
Slight Brett aromas on the nose, a little bit funky smelling but not overwhelming.

A little bit malty, light body with soft carbonation. Fairly clean
tasting. No hop bitterness, a smooth mouthfeel.

Overall the beer is very good and well made, the Brett character is
minimal but its there for sure. I think with time it'll come out even
more.

Tasting 2 (much more detailed a few weeks later)

Beautiful golden color with decent clarity,a thin white head that
fades to a film that lasts only minimally, pretty standard for these Brett'ed beers.

A bready aroma with a slight pineapple Brett funk on the nose.

Soft carbonation, slightly fruity not much hop
bitterness, a solid malt presence that makes this a soft palatable
beer. The pilsner malt really stands out in this beer it gives it a
very solid backbone.

I really enjoyed the beer and feel like its on the right track but
might need a bit of tweaking. It's leaving me wanting either more funk
or a bigger more hop character be it aroma or bitterness. I'd be curious to taste this
same beer fermented with a funkier strain like Brux or Lambicus. Very well done.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #117
Burgs
Recipes 

Coff's Brett C. ESB

Notes from 1st bottle:

It had great carbonation, nice clarity. Was slightly more complex malt-wise than my beer, and a bit darker (to be expected).

I am admittedly not thoroughly versed with the ESB style but I thought yours was just overall really balanced between malty sweetness and hop bitterness - neither one stuck out, they just melded together well.

There was definitely a nice fruity tartness from the yeast, which I really enjoyed. I didn't taste or smell anything that was in-your-face funky or barnyardy or overly Brett-like, just more of a slight tartness in the finish.

If I had to guess, I'd say the finishing gravity was probably relatively low too? It seemed like a very lean beer.

Notes from 2nd bottle:

Pours a copper-golden color with brilliant clarity - no haze or cloudiness. Small white cap of foam that quickly falls away to nothing.

Smell: little more Brett character in the nose than mine, in my opinion. Somewhat wine-like fruitiness in the aroma plus some caramel sweetness as well. No hops coming through in a noticeable way.

Taste: Toast (with jelly?), bread crust, caramel. No dark fruit sweetness or anything like that but more of just a warm, rounded sweetness. Definitely not cloying, but the bitterness that is there seems to just offset the malt rather than coming through as a big component on its own.

Don't think I would describe the yeast characteristic as pineapple in either the taste or the nose, and the beer is not overly yeast-forward, but it doesn't taste like it was fermented with a regular ale yeast. Slight fruity tartness.

Mouthfeel: lean, a bit on the thin side, carbonation is good though and does a great job bringing out the flavors. Very easy to drink!

Overall:

I think yours is a bit more interesting take on the 100% Brett C. fermentation because of the malt backbone. I agree with the notes we've been trading back and forth about how this yeast needs something, rather than being interesting enough to carry an overly simple malt bill or an otherwise boring recipe. In the case of your beer, I think the malt component went well with it. In mine, I think more hop character would have helped. I am undecided on whether I think yours would benefit from being hoppier - perhaps. It's really, really well executed as it is though and if I were visiting your brewery I would gladly have another glass. Thanks again for sharing!

Quick Reply