Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett + lager yeast = ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Has anyone tried this? I only see ale and brett combined. Either concurrent, or as a secondary fermentation? I'm suggesting that the lager be fermented at traditional temperatures.

Everything I've read suggests that the funk Brett produces is a result of it consuming the byproducts leftover from the primary fermentation yeast in an otherwise hostile environment to the yeast.

Since lager yeast has a different ability to ferment sugars than ale yeast there must be some sort of different flavor profile.

Typically you would not combine a lager with funk since the point of a lager is the crisp and clean beer. But it might produce a rather interesting beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

Not exactly what you're asking about, but I had Stillwater Premium on draft recently. I think primary is standard Stillwater saison ale strain, but with Crooked Stave bretts. Reason for mentioning is that grist has corn & rice, & I loved the beer. Loved, loved, loved. Great brett aroma, clean but bretty taste. I'm brewing a cream ale with Wy2565 and thinking of following the sacc ptich up with brett.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Yea ! I was just thinking about lager + Brett also. You should try it out! Let me know how it works

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have been wanting to try this for a while now. I was wanting to try with WLP810 since it is fairly low attenuating. Does anyone know at what temp Brett completely shuts down?

Brute Brew Works
Primary: Epic Flemish Brown(15g) waiting to go into a bourbon barrel, Brett C. Blackberry Berliner, lambic waiting for fruit
Secondary: Sour Brown Ale from Black IPA second runnings sitting on 2.5lbs. blackberries and 2.5lbs mulberries
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Not exactly what you're asking about, but I had Stillwater Premium on draft recently. I think primary is standard Stillwater saison ale strain, but with Crooked Stave bretts. Reason for mentioning is that grist has corn & rice, & I loved the beer. Loved, loved, loved. Great brett aroma, clean but bretty taste. I'm brewing a cream ale with Wy2565 and thinking of following the sacc ptich up with brett.
I've got a keg of cream ale that I threw some Brett B & C dregs in a couple months back. Can't remember what the primary yeast was, but it was fermented low. I haven't sampled it yet, but it smells nice...

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
buttcord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Chad from Crooked Stave mentioned on his Sunday Session interview that he doesn't even store his brett starters in the refrigerator because it drastically affects their viability. Based on that if you were going to add brett to a lager it would seem you would at least want to pitch after lagering is complete.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
BryanThompson
Recipes 

I saw him speak at a homebrew comp not too long ago and remember him saying that now.

Brute Brew Works
Primary: Epic Flemish Brown(15g) waiting to go into a bourbon barrel, Brett C. Blackberry Berliner, lambic waiting for fruit
Secondary: Sour Brown Ale from Black IPA second runnings sitting on 2.5lbs. blackberries and 2.5lbs mulberries

Old 12-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
Has anyone tried this? I only see ale and brett combined. Either concurrent, or as a secondary fermentation? I'm suggesting that the lager be fermented at traditional temperatures.

Everything I've read suggests that the funk Brett produces is a result of it consuming the byproducts leftover from the primary fermentation yeast in an otherwise hostile environment to the yeast.

Since lager yeast has a different ability to ferment sugars than ale yeast there must be some sort of different flavor profile.

Typically you would not combine a lager with funk since the point of a lager is the crisp and clean beer. But it might produce a rather interesting beer.
New Belgium often primaries with lager yeast before funking or souring. Part of Lost Abbey's Cable Car is a Biere de Garde that is fermented out with lager yeast, albeit there is more than just Brett added to secondary.

In general Biere de Garde's can be made with a lager yeast at middling fermentation temp and then finished with Brett in secondary or in bottles with good results.

I've also done a Munich Helles with the San Fran lager yeast, secondary with Brett and it was excellent!

Been wanting to try souring or funking a Baltic Porter, but after all the hard work of making one I would probably be tempted just to drink it clean.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttcord
Chad from Crooked Stave mentioned on his Sunday Session interview that he doesn't even store his brett starters in the refrigerator because it drastically affects their viability. Based on that if you were going to add brett to a lager it would seem you would at least want to pitch after lagering is complete.
I've listened to this interview a few times now. So much good info, it almost makes jogging not suck.

I've been re-reading 'Wild Brews' and the chart on p115 lists Brett active temps as 40-95, the same a listed for Sacc. Maybe some strains are active at cooler temps?

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Can I get a link to this?

Brute Brew Works

Quick Reply