Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Nico93
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Brett Imperial Stout

Hi
i want to brew a Brett Russian Stout and i need your help!
i thought to brew this beer and ferment it with a clean yeast and add brett to secondary
does the brett tooks the gravity to low? i want something like 1015/1020!
does the alcool stop the brett works?
I need to kill them when i reach the og?
this is the first idea of recipe, what to you think about?

Recipe: imperial 1.2 brett TYPE: All Grain
Style: Imperial Stout
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 49,6 SRM SRM RANGE: 30,0-40,0 SRM
IBU: 79,4 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 50,0-90,0 IBUs
OG: 1,103 SG OG RANGE: 1,075-1,115 SG
FG: 1,020 SG FG RANGE: 1,018-1,030 SG
BU:GU: 0,774 Calories: 354,6 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 11,0 %
EE%: 70,00 % Batch: 5,28 gal Boil: 8,58 gal BT: 120 Mins

Total Grain Weight: 21,38 lb Total Hops: 5,29 oz oz.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15,43 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3,0 SRM) Grain 1 72,2 %
2,20 lb Oats, Flaked (1,0 SRM) Grain 2 10,3 %
1,32 lb Roasted Barley (300,0 SRM) Grain 4 6,2 %
1,32 lb Chocolate Malt (350,0 SRM) Grain 3 6,2 %
1,10 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80,0 SRM) Grain 5 5,2 %

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5,29 oz Goldings, East Kent [6,00 %] - Boil 90,0 Hop 6 79,4 IBUs

>Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What strain do you plan on using? Brett lambicus will give you a strong funk and might provide a chocolate-covered cherries flavor. Brett clausenii would give a milder funk that might do better to accentuate a big, complex beer like this. A dark horse would be Brett brux trois. I used that in 100% Brett fermented in a porter. It gave off interesting orange and lemon aromas and flavors, which somehow meshed well with the dark wort.

All strains have relatively high alcohol tolerance, but I would consider knocking the OG back some, because the Brett will cause this to attenuate more than you expect. Granted, I have never done a high gravity Brett beer before, but I would guess that it would still be pretty active in secondary fermentation.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Nico93
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdecinces View Post
What strain do you plan on using? Brett lambicus will give you a strong funk and might provide a chocolate-covered cherries flavor. Brett clausenii would give a milder funk that might do better to accentuate a big, complex beer like this. A dark horse would be Brett brux trois. I used that in 100% Brett fermented in a porter. It gave off interesting orange and lemon aromas and flavors, which somehow meshed well with the dark wort.

All strains have relatively high alcohol tolerance, but I would consider knocking the OG back some, because the Brett will cause this to attenuate more than you expect. Granted, I have never done a high gravity Brett beer before, but I would guess that it would still be pretty active in secondary fermentation.
from what you wrote I seem understand that the the clausenii is the best one that suits my idea

I thought to start with a high OG in order to obtain a fg as 1015/1020 despite the high attenuation of Brett,because i don't want to obtain an imperial stout with an fg like 1006 or so,i'm wrong?

thanks for your help

Old 09-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
dougdecinces
Recipes 

http://www.themadfermentationist.com...ial-stout.html

This is an older thread, but he actually sulfited his beer and racked it off the yeast when he reached a FG and flavor he liked. That might be an option. You could always brew a 1 gal clean version of the beer and then blend the two so you have some yeast for bottle conditioning.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
Nico93
Recipes 

Quote:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com...ial-stout.html

This is an older thread, but he actually sulfited his beer and racked it off the yeast when he reached a FG and flavor he liked. That might be an option. You could always brew a 1 gal clean version of the beer and then blend the two so you have some yeast for bottle conditioning.

i saw this article and i read it all but i don't like the idea to kill the brett, because if they survive i bottle bomb right?

Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico93 View Post
i saw this article and i read it all but i don't like the idea to kill the brett, because if they survive i bottle bomb right?
yeay, that was my concern too. k-meta doesn't kill yeast, it just stuns them. brett is pretty hardy so i'd worry about a few cells surviving.

i wonder if Oldsock has an update on k-meta and brett...

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
dougdecinces
Recipes 

There is a lot that can be done without filtering to get it off the yeast cake. If you cold-crash the carboy, then rack the beer to a second carboy without disturbing the yeast cake, then add k-meta, I am guessing that would pretty much ruin any chance of brett surviving. Then you can bottle with a sacch strain and be golden. It's a lot of work, but I don't see why it wouldn't do the trick.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
If you cold-crash the carboy, then rack the beer to a second carboy without disturbing the yeast cake, then add k-meta, I am guessing that would pretty much ruin any chance of brett surviving.
i don't have any experience doing this, my concern is that brett is so damn hardy that a little will make it through. cold crashing doesn't remove all the yeast (just most of it, and brett isn't very flocculent) and k-meta inhibits growth while the sulfur levels are high enough. sulfur levels will drop as they bind with other molecules in the beer.

but this might just be me being a worry-wort.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 09-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
dougdecinces
Recipes 

The other point that I don't think has been brought up yet, is that 1.103 down to 1.020 is already 81% apparent attenuation and close to 11 ABV. You are already pushing the alcohol tolerance and attenuation limits of brett, especially given the high proportion of specialty malts. If you push the OG up another 5-10 points, there will be almost no chance of brett attenuating it down much further than 1.020.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

The type will factor in. I made a bretted up black IPA with clausenii in the secondary. I would need to check my notes but, I think it stopped around 1.012 which was a little high even for regular sacch. Bottled 3 months ago and still no gushers or bombs. Brett won't chew threw everything all the time. You should still have some body on a beer that big. You could add lactose for body. If I remember, most strains won't touch it.

My House IPA

Quick Reply