Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett Dubbel With Figs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
brent77
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Brett Dubbel With Figs

I brewed 10gal of a Dubbel with figs which I kegged 5 gal of, and want to get a bit of funk and oak into the other 5 gals.

I've never done a brett beer before, so I'm curious if I could get some thoughts on what might go well with that beer. From what I've read it sounds like a mix of Brett-L and Brett-B might be the best, lending an earthy cherry flavor over time?

Also, I should mention that we pitched a large amount of yeast from a tripel that was kegged on brew day, and it chugged through the dubbel all the way down to 1.003 so I was thinking I'd have to add some maltodextrin to the batch to feed the Brett.

Thoughts?

thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you can add maltodextrin if you want, but theres plenty of other food for the brett to eat as is. I think B & L would work great in this

Old 08-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27
you can add maltodextrin if you want, but theres plenty of other food for the brett to eat as is. I think B & L would work great in this
I agree with dcp. Brett L and B would be a great addition. I have a Brett'd Dubbel in my pipeline, too!

I don't think you necessarily need to add maltodextrin - the Brettanomyces will process esters produced by your primary strain and hop compounds in addition to the remaining sugars. If it were me, I wouldn't add anything. Sounds like a cool beer.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
brent77
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks! I was just listening to an interview with Chad from crooked stave who mentioned not needing to add Malto as well, so I think I can forego that. This brings up another question though, If I let the brett sit for 3-6 months, should I add a clean ale yeast for bottle conditioning at the end? Everything seems to point to yes.

Secondary #1: Sour Apfelwein Secondary #2: Empty
Bottled: Belgian Trippel IPA, Summer Saison
On Tap: TrueAmerican Pale

Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 670 Times on 498 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent77 View Post
If I let the brett sit for 3-6 months, should I add a clean ale yeast for bottle conditioning at the end? Everything seems to point to yes.
brett will carbonate your beer, but rather slowly - like 6+ week. if you want them carb'ed faster, add yeast at bottling. depending on the ABV, you might want to go with a champagne or wine yeast. throwing beer yeast into a high alcohol enviro will just put that yeast to sleep. you'll just be adding sediment to your bottles.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent77
Thanks! I was just listening to an interview with Chad from crooked stave who mentioned not needing to add Malto as well, so I think I can forego that. This brings up another question though, If I let the brett sit for 3-6 months, should I add a clean ale yeast for bottle conditioning at the end? Everything seems to point to yes.
For something like a Brett dubbel, I think you will be fine. In my experience, bretta will take 7 to 14 days longer than ale yeast to build up adequate pressure. (I expect ale yeast to build carbonation in 14 days, at most.) I say you will be fine because this probably is a beer you will want to age at least a month.

Quick Reply